Steering wheel buttons sticky to the touch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlenQ

Car
2004 W220 S320 CDI
It's as though the surface layer of the buttons has become tacky and sticky to the touch. All the other switches in the car are OK. Has anyone experienced this problem and how did they get rid of the stickiness?

Give the interior and wheel buttons a good clean. I would suggest baby wipes for the buttons,.

Tried that, and window cleaner, did not touch it. I might try some Orange based 'Sticky stuff remover'

I'm afraid I might take off the printed switch labels if I use something too 'harsh'

Scrape it off with your finger nails. Leaves a nice smooth button.

Scrape it off with your finger nails. Leaves a nice smooth button.

That does work, although you need to scratch all of the button as you leave grime marks. The baby wipes work...

of course, you could get the car professionally cleaned inside.

That does work, although you need to scratch all of the button as you leave grime marks. The baby wipes work...

of course, you could get the car professionally cleaned inside.

It may work if the buttons are merely dirty. But if, as happens, the coating is starting to break down, then either scraping or replacing are the only options.

It may work if the buttons are merely dirty. But if, as happens, the coating is starting to break down, then either scraping or replacing are the only options.

This is ONLY happening on the steering wheel switches, the rest of the car and the other switches are in pristine condition. From replies it seems that the coating is coming off the switches. I will try a light scraping as recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom