Steering wheel change - buttons and horn not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulr7

Car
W205
Hi all

I've just had my steering wheel changed over, unfortunately I didn't look hard enough when buying the (to me) new one and it had a slightly different arrangement of buttons.
I didn't think much of it, had my indy change over the contact plate and button modules but the horn and buttons still don't work, however pressing the upshift paddle looks to perform the action of the back or ok button 9 times out of 10.
Does anybody have any clue how to fix it and/or why it doesn't work? The only thing I can think of is that the paddle shifters are not playing well with my old contact plate and I don't think these can be changed over as they appear to be a different size (pictures available here, chrome paddle shifters is the new steering wheel with buttons from old steering wheel)

Thanks
Paul

I'm sure I read on here of people upgrading steering wheels and they need coding to work properly. Try the search function.

In case somebody finds this thread later I've managed to work it out.
I took the steering wheel apart and tried measuring voltage on the black plug, realised there was no connection whatsoever on 2 pins and it looked like something blue was covering the pins (threadlocker?).
After copious amounts of contact cleaner the pins made contact and everything started working properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom