Steering wheel control wire colors on R230

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcarr

Car
2006 Mercedes SL500
I purchased a 2006 SL500 that somebody had replaced the radio, harness and removed the amp. I am replacing the 2004 7" radio with the correct 9" and a new aftermarket amp. I have all the speaker and power wires figured out but can't figure out what wires are the steering wheel radio wires or colors. I assume these went to the amplifier in the back. How do I locate these to hook up the new radio with these steering wheel functions?

The steering wheel commands are reported over the CAN bus. CAN bus was connected to the AGW in the rear "seat" area on left. So you need a CANbus steering wheel control interface. But there is no need to install it in the back, install it behind the new stereo, power from the old power for the head-unit (low current, not suitable for new head unit), and take CAN from the Aircon panel. You'll need the interface to have the ability to talk to whatever your head unit is too.

You'll need to extend FM/AM antenna cable from the rear to front too.

I'm not sure what you mean by "'The correct 9" ' - there is no official 9" system so that must be an aftermarket system.

R

I think it is the 2 green wires that go to a terminal as seen in the attached picture. Terminal goes to brown, brown/red stripe, blue/black stripe and to fibre optic cables.
The steering wheel commands are reported over the CAN bus. CAN bus was connected to the AGW in the rear "seat" area on left. So you need a CANbus steering wheel control interface. But there is no need to install it in the back, install it behind the new stereo, power from the old power for the head-unit (low current, not suitable for new head unit), and take CAN from the Aircon panel. You'll need the interface to have the ability to talk to whatever your head unit is too.

You'll need to extend FM/AM antenna cable from the rear to front too.

I'm not sure what you mean by "'The correct 9" ' - there is no official 9" system so that must be an aftermarket system.

R
From what I understand the 7" screen, 2003, had trim around it and 2004 on, 9" screen did not. The person before me removed the audio gateway, amp and cd changer. I have everything figured out except the steering wheel wires, which I think are the ones in the picture attached, to run to the canbus.

Attachments

• Is this the wire from steering wheel.jpg
    Is this the wire from steering wheel.jpg
    713.9 KB · Views: 2
Yes. That’s the connector that went to the AGW in the rear “seat” area. And brown and brown/red is the CANbus. As you are fitting an aftermarket system I don’t know what the wiring on that is. The CANbus will be providing lots of signals (ignition, speed, steering wheel controls)

R

Well done, and a lot braver than me, I left mine exactly as stock..... lots of things to go wrong if i attempted that :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom