Steering Wheel Control wires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdwis

Car
W211 - E220 CDi
Hi guys

I am looking for few cables lines and cannot figure out which one is which.
Original Audio 20-CD is now removed which had Speaker Out connections (No Amplifier).
As standard it also used to increase and decrease the brightness (though only at Night time) through the control of that Variable Rotary switch (next to display cluster).
And the SWC (Steering Wheel Controls) were working fine as well on Radio and normal CDs.

Now as when my beloved friend lent me a crap radio which had a continous noise regardless of using MP3 CDs or USB or SD Card or Radio (now I know why he gave me that), and as I couldnt fix it I had to buy another one Alpine with BT and DAB 1-Din as I already had the fascia etc.

Now how I understand, to use SWC you need to have those cables, I checked the original connector and could not find ANY in Standard QuadLock connections (meaning the large connector with 8 wires for speakers and rest 8 wires for power and other functions etc).
My original quadlock connector has kind of 3 sections which has wires connected
1-Speakers (tot 8 pins all used)
2-Power and should be other but only Power is there (+ and -) (tot 8 pins only 2 used)
3-This is mainly above the speakers connections (tot 16 pins but only 1-5 used)
Everything is shown in pics.

The wire colours for section-3 (I guess SWC) are as follows
1-Brown/Orange
2-Brown
3-Blue
4-Pink
5-Yellow

Checked samples of many other Interfaces which are sold in the market they all show cables running from Section-2, nowhere mention of anything running from Section-3

The stereo is asking to use 4 cables
Orange - Illuination (may be brightness control)
Brown/Yellow - Remo-1
Brown/Orange - Remo-2
Black - SWRC G. Out

So I am looking to use 4 cables from stereo to connect it to related cables but dont know where and which cables?

Thanks guys.Original Connector_1.JPG Original Connector_12JPG.JPG

The swc feend into the canbus, I haven't managed to find any way for an after amrket to recognise them other than by using a canbus decoder. I would expect a decoder to be specific to your HU, so would consult the manufacturer.

A decoder should provide signals to the HU, via the canbus, for swc, lighting, and reverse if there were a reverse camera.

To trigger the HU often there is a need for a switched 12 volt feed (aux), often picked up from the front cig lighter. You could pick up your illumination feed there as well but that won't help with your swc.

Did you try a Google search for an audio20 wiring diagram?
It found this site which has pinouts for most Mercedes systems

MERCEDES Car Radio Stereo Audio Wiring Diagram Autoradio connector wire installation schematic schema esquema de conexiones stecker konektor connecteur cable shema

Which I think this is also it in text form.

Code:
Connector 1
    1    Speaker rear right +     5    Speaker rear right -
    2    Speaker front right +    6    Speaker front right -
    3    Speaker front left +      7    Speaker front left -
    4    Speaker rear left +       8    Speaker rear left -

Connector 2 
    9    CAN Low (CAN A)        13    "Power Antenna"
    10    Mute                         14    "Not Busy"
    11    CAN High (CAN B)      15    "terminal 30"
    12    "terminal 31"             16    "Wake Up"

Connector 3
    5    Ground          11    "Mass Aux-Connector"
    6    Aux-In Left    12    Aux-In Right

You need to get the correct CANbus interface which will connect to the brown, and brown/red twisted pair. If you get the correct one it will have outputs for Reverse, Ignition, Lights-on, Speed-Pulse too which your SatNav will/may need

The blue wire powers up the antenna system.

As this is a W211 NTG1 system the speaker and the power wires are not in the standard Quadlock positions either - so you need an adapter

There are adapters available that convert the Quadlock to DIN/ISO and sort the steering wheel controls out for you.

Richard

To trigger the HU often there is a need for a switched 12 volt feed (aux), often picked up from the front cig lighter. You could pick up your illumination feed there as well but that won't help with your swc.
This wont help because in lighter its continuous 12v and not the variable one.

Did you try a Google search for an audio20 wiring diagram?
Yes, I googled it and found several results but seeing the wiring diagram none is matching with mine, as I have to look for socket no-3 with 16 pin and in there as well only 1-5 are used, which is weird.

You need to get the correct CANbus interface which will connect to the brown, and brown/red twisted pair. If you get the correct one it will have outputs for Reverse, Ignition, Lights-on, Speed-Pulse too which your SatNav will/may need
Thats true but some how I cannot find it, I dont think it exists, the reason is even with Alpine, Pioneer etc I checked, even on their own website and what I found was all those necessary cables are in socket 1 and 2 nothing sitting for socket 3

Has anyone else experienced with this sort of issue? and how was it resolved?

The lighter power can be changed by moving a fuse in the fusebox under the bonnet.

I've put it the correct interface in the online shop to help you. You won't need to move the fuse in the fusebox if you use this, it should make your life easy. If you tell us what stereo is going in, we will even configure the item correctly for your car / stereo.

Adapter Loom with Steering Wheel Controls for NTG1 in W211, W219, R171, E, CLS & SLK

Richard

ps, if your car has no phone system and you want the phone hangup/pickup buttons working they need to be enabled with Star Diagnosis diagnostic computer.

I've put it the correct interface in the online shop to help you.
Hi richard, I guess this is exactly I am looking for, would it be straight forward for me to connect this or would any Star Diag involvement is there?

Straight forward to connect (we will configure it for Alpine head unit for you). It will work straight away. Unless there is a 'Phone' menu in your cluster the phone hang-up and answer buttons on the steering wheel will not work - until the Phone menu is enabled using Star Diagnosis - but that is the only bit that won't work.

Do remember that you will not get radio station etc displayed in the instrument cluster.
Cheers
Richard

Straight forward to connect
Hi Richard thanks for helping me on this, really appreciate a lot, the only thing I did not order this from the mentioned online site as it said it was gonna take a few days to come in stock, but I really appreciate the honesty in explaining on what is exactly required and how was it gonna work.

Also thanks to all other member's support in helping this, appreciate it.

In nutshell, while speaking to one of my work colleague who has same car he advised to go for another small unit (very similar) which should do the job, and it did work.
Just for the info on case anybody wanted to do this, now my Steering controls does work, Vol up & down, Radio channels - Up & down, Songs tracks up & down, and Phone Hang Up works, what does not work are Change Source (like from USB to Radio etc) and Phone Pick Up (actually I havnt really tried this so need to check again)

Also Dimmer works as well, which is quite helpful in driving in night.
Which unit I used - was CTSMC004.2 and a connect lead with jack - CTMULTIPLEAD.2 ordered from ebay. Job done, hope this helps others as well.

Thanks again for all your help :)

Reactions: m80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom