Steering Wheel Movement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rees_A

Banned
Car
CLK55 AMG
Should I have a telescopic steering wheel in my 2000(x) CLK55 AMG? It has the pull out thing under the steering wheel but I can't see any light on dash and it doesn't move?

Please respond asap (Oh, I checked the vin and it doesn't say it has one?)

The "pull out thing" under the column releases the steering wheel. Now you got to pull it out or push it in , or up/down...its not electric.

Tried that but the steering wheel doesn't move? Should I pull harder? Don't want to break it

on mine, I pull the release handle towards me, then the wheel freely moves in and out, but not up and down. then push the handle back to lock the position

So is it standard on a clk or was it an option? If I have the pull out thing should it move?
I'm asking because I have a guy coming to fix my pixels in a few mins and I think the steering wheel may stop the removal of the cluster.

So is it standard on a clk or was it an option? If I have the pull out thing should it move?
I'm asking because I have a guy coming to fix my pixels in a few mins and I think the steering wheel may stop the removal of the cluster.

even if the wheel does not move, the cluster will come out still, its a tight fit but it will come out without damage

IIRC W208 steering wheel only have in/out movement (not up/down).

Maybe the lever is broken and not actually doing what it should - you could try dismantling the steering cowel to see what it actually is doing or not doing.

it shoudl pull in/out but shouldnt really require much effort

Lever must be disconnected from whatever its supposed to move. Just had a quick look and it seems a screw is missing from the panel that needs to be removed so I guess someone has already fixed/done something to it. Hopefully they will be able to get the cluster out..If they ever turn up. Supposed to be here at 14:30...

Thanks all for quick responses

Was puzzled by this lever on my CLK initially too, wheel did not seem to want to move in/out at all.

Took a couple of hours of serious boredom in a traffic jam to solve - once the lever is pulled all the way out the steering wheel needed a very firm pull to get it moving the first time. Since then it has moved in/out fine.

Bit late now, but yep - the lever moves and then the wheel moves in/out telecopically.

How did you get on with the cluster fix, did they turn up ok?

Will

No they didn't turn up!! Didn't even phone to say they had a problem!!! Am fast losing interest in paying them any money now so will probably leave it broke for a while..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom