Steering wheel not straight

• Thread starter Deleted member 138290
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 138290

So I had the wheel alignment done a few months ago now and although the car drives straight and smooth, over the time the steering wheel has gone further to the right in a straight line..... I’m assuming I need SAS reset ?? Neither of my diagnostics cover this ! 🙈. Don’t get any warning lights coming up on dash so don’t think it’s at fault just maybe a reset needed ? Lol tried the steering from lock to lock etc but doesn’t work.

Don't be tempted to lift the steering wheel and put it back while rotating it one notch.... this is not how you fix a car pulling to one side.

What you need is to get the tracking sorted, or, better still, full geometry alignment.

And dont forget that the condition of the tyres also matters, e.g. pressures, wear, damage, etc.

Lol I had thought about taking the steering wheel but I won’t be doing that ! Tbh it might be to do with the front tyres as they are worn more on the inners due to the alignment being out for a few months due to in experienced staff at a certain garage that we both thought had set it up right but actually hadn’t ! I’ve got 2 new tyres to get fitted ASAP so will update...... thanks 👍

Lol I had thought about taking the steering wheel but I won’t be doing that ! Tbh it might be to do with the front tyres as they are worn more on the inners due to the alignment being out for a few months due to in experienced staff at a certain garage that we both thought had set it up right but actually hadn’t ! I’ve got 2 new tyres to get fitted ASAP so will update...... thanks 👍
Ideally you want someone who knows what they are doing with a Hunter alignment machine

I have that after my recent Hunter alignment. The steering wheel points to 90mph in a straight line. I'm going to go and bonk him over the head when I get back to London!

That’s not good ! Hope you get it sorted mate

There’s a hunter machine 40 mins from me and appears to be open on Monday so I will ring them and see if I can go get it done again, says with a vehicle lift so no appointment necessary and prices are from £25 👍

Same here on not one but two different w211s in a month, although I kept explaining to the garage "please when your ready to tighten the rod ends or the suspension parts, do this start the car steer left steer right, straighten the steering wheel and hold then tighten, job done".
No tracking machines works without human eyes

I forgot to mention that I have air ride and every garage has told me they won’t start the car to set wheels straight as the vibration will cause the machine to give an incorrect measurement, even though I politely stress to the garage that the engine NEEDS to be running ! So if I can get it to Nottingham on Monday let’s see if they know what they need to do....

I forgot to mention that I have air ride and every garage has told me they won’t start the car to set wheels straight as the vibration will cause the machine to give an incorrect measurement, even though I politely stress to the garage that the engine NEEDS to be running ! So if I can get it to Nottingham on Monday let’s see if they know what they need to do....
Why does it need to be running and why do you put emphasis on this sequence?

Hi, I’ve researched the net and read about having to have the engine running because the steering is hydraulic ? Also, other members on this site have said “engine needs to be running” however every garage have refused due to”vibrations on ramp affect a correct reading” ? So have never had car running anyway... fingers crossed for tomorrow AM...

The steering wheel on my brand new 300de is off :-(
Points to 1 o'clock when driving straight. It’s very off putting.
Will get it in at some point.

The steering wheel on my brand new 300de is off :-(
Points to 1 o'clock when driving straight. It’s very off putting.
Will get it in at some point.

How do you mean 'brand new'? As in delivery mileage?

I drove a rented W205 last year, it had 700km (400 miles) on the clock, and the steering wheel was off-centre, I just assumed that the previous customer probably hit a kerb.

Delivery miles. (Although these are higher for fleet cars)
It arrived on a mini 2 car flat bed style transporter, so it maybe got bumped up the ramp. The other thing I wasn’t happy with was the car on top (brand new A Class) has dropped oil on the bonnet!
I got the car valeted immediately and there’s no damage to the paint or it would have gone back.

It tracks bang straight, no pull either way, but the star is pointing to 1 o’clock and it’s doing my head in. If I put the star at 12 and let go, it drives bang straight, but moving left.

Did you try to book it with the local dealer for warranty repair?

Delivery miles. (Although these are higher for fleet cars)
It arrived on a mini 2 car flat bed style transporter, so it maybe got bumped up the ramp. The other thing I wasn’t happy with was the car on top (brand new A Class) has dropped oil on the bonnet!
I got the car valeted immediately and there’s no damage to the paint or it would have gone back.

It tracks bang straight, no pull either way, but the star is pointing to 1 o’clock and it’s doing my head in. If I put the star at 12 and let go, it drives bang straight, but moving left.

ah that’s really bad service IMO !

All MBs pull to the left...

A good wheel alignment place can dial this out by adjusting camber, castor etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom