Steering Wheel refurbishment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ellie

Car
A140
Good morning...
I’m thinking about refurbishing my gear stick and steering wheel. In my curiosity I found a YouTube clip using shoe polish!
Has anyone tried this? Do you recommend??
- I am on a budget so a pound shop shoe polish special sounds ideal to me! :D:p

Hmmmm, it may keep getting your hands dirty for weeks!

Maybe a heel scuff / leather dye may be better.

Wheel may be pretend leather so a vinyl paint?

Unless it's leather, safer to leave alone.

All those pennies/pounds add up;
I suggest your main focus should now be on saving for a decent service to the car to ensure ongoing safety and reliability for you and your family.

(You can get specific vinyl/rubber cleaner, but you most likely have something adequate amongst your domestic cleaning products)

Good morning...
I’m thinking about refurbishing my gear stick and steering wheel. In my curiosity I found a YouTube clip using shoe polish!
Has anyone tried this? Do you recommend??
- I am on a budget so a pound shop shoe polish special sounds ideal to me! :D:p
I have used shoe dye before with good success. Use sparingly and polish well after is has dried. Again, only try this on leather.

Thanks for the advice! As it happens the steering wheel isn’t even leather!! :wallbash::( So that definitely rules out the shoe polish idea :(
Perhaps I should get fluffy dice and a matching fluffy steering wheel cover?... :p:banana::D

You could pick up a wheel for an Avantgarde on ebay for very little. Same grey colour just in leather. :)
There doesn’t appear to be any available at the moment... but I’ll keep my eye out.
Failing that I’ve seen some diy leather covers which you sew on yourself at home. I’m a good seamstress so I might just give that a go for £7. If it looks crap, i can always take it off :D

There doesn’t appear to be any available at the moment... but I’ll keep my eye out.
Failing that I’ve seen some diy leather covers which you sew on yourself at home. I’m a good seamstress so I might just give that a go for £7. If it looks crap, i can always take it off :D

This tutorial may be of interest... :)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I’m actually really excited about this little project now after watching that!
The hardest part for me to complete in that entire video will be the removal of the steering wheel - simply because I only own a couple of screwdrivers!
But as long as I can borrow the tools from somewhere then I’ll be fine! :D:cool:

Also, there are some things I didn’t agree on with his method...
For example, I wouldn’t be using glue to stick down the leather where the arms of the wheel are. Glue (especially fabric glue) doesn’t last very well in the heat and over time, so I can imagine in a year the excess material would begin to look tatty. I would fold the excess under and using a needle for the top and the other for below to just continue a standard stitch until the fabric meets again and the baseball stitch can continue. Before I join the edges again, I’d use a little bit of glue to hold the material tight, but not so that it’s reliant.
This also means that you’re using continuous thread and not have to finish off and re-start each section of stitching...

Just an idea :cool::p;)

Also, there are some things I didn’t agree on with his method...
For example, I wouldn’t be using glue to stick down the leather where the arms of the wheel are. Glue (especially fabric glue) doesn’t last very well in the heat and over time, so I can imagine in a year the excess material would begin to look tatty. I would fold the excess under and using a needle for the top and the other for below to just continue a standard stitch until the fabric meets again and the baseball stitch can continue. Before I join the edges again, I’d use a little bit of glue to hold the material tight, but not so that it’s reliant.
This also means that you’re using continuous thread and not have to finish off and re-start each section of stitching...

Just an idea :cool::p;)

You should start a business re-covering wheels! :)

You should start a business re-covering wheels! :)

Tempting ;):p maybe my job job is in the wrong field!! :D

... Alternatively Ellie you could save yourself the time and get this one, just needs a bit of leather cleanser. 2 8mm (if I remember) captive bolts holding the airbag in place then a large, can't remember the size of nut holding the thing in place on the steering column.... Done! :)
... GENUINE MERCEDES A CLASS A160 W168 97-04 STEERING WHEEL + AIRBAG ~ | eBay

I’m honestly attracted to the challenge now! :D If it goes Pete Tong then I may have to result to ordering one ;)
Otherwise, I’ve found online a dark grey faux leather (real leather is expensive :eek:) which I think would look great with a slightly lighter grey/silver stich...

It might be a better option to get a replacement wheel, re-trim or cover it, and then get someone to swap - you're dealing with airbag removal, and potential misalignment / position sensor error (if I remember correctly). FWIW, I have done it, airbag - a few times, and am not a mechanic :rolleyes:

You can then re-trim the old wheel too, and eBay it ;)

It might be a better option to get a replacement wheel, re-trim or cover it, and then get someone to swap - you're dealing with airbag removal, and potential misalignment / position sensor error (if I remember correctly). FWIW, I have done it, airbag - a few times, and am not a mechanic :rolleyes:

You can then re-trim the old wheel too, and eBay it ;)
I don’t have the tools to remove the steering wheel anyway, so I’m going to get my mechanic friend to remove it.
I could just stitch it whilst still attached but think it would be awkward...
Either way, I’ll be sure to post photos!!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom