Steering Wheel Stolen-No Damage To Locks/Window

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
bonkers theft, bonkers.

A lady at work with a little Citroën c2 had the child seat stolen, window smashed and seat pulled out...

She was stuck as couldn't get to a shop to buy one easily with nothing to put little one in.

Really is amazing what people will take I guess. The only good thing us that thieft from cars must have reduced a lot as they have become mote secure, you certainly don't hear about as many.

Directed to the technical forum members.

What info do the guys that make replacement Merc keys need?

Is the fact that both chassis and reg numbers are visible enough to make one?

Do you need an original key to reprogramme the new one?

What info do the guys that make replacement Merc keys need?

Is the fact that both chassis and reg numbers are visible enough to make one?

Do you need an original key to reprogramme the new one?

Need the VIN number, V5C and photo ID. New keys are only available direct from MB. They come matched to the car and cannot be programmed. At least thats what they tell us.

I dont think the thieves had the keys or they'd have surely driven the car elsewhere first before removing the wheel.

A lady at work with a little Citroën c2 had the child seat stolen, window smashed and seat pulled out...

She was stuck as couldn't get to a shop to buy one easily with nothing to put little one in.

Really is amazing what people will take I guess. The only good thing us that thieft from cars must have reduced a lot as they have become mote secure, you certainly don't hear about as many.

I had my back window caved in years ago to steal a packet of crisps!

Hi
Just thought I'd update everyone. I've been away for the weekend so not been able to post until now.

The insurance company were adamant that they would not pay out as their engineer knew of no way to get into a locked Merc without causing damage. I emailed the insurance company last Thursday stating that I was absolutely confident that I had locked the door and that I was willing to testify in court to that effect. Also, I advised them that it was up to them to prove I didn't lock it and that I would be instructing a solicitor to act on my behalf.

They rang me on Friday afternoon to say that they would pay out.

Today, I've been visited by the Police, who advised me that on the night my steering wheel was stolen, items were stolen from 2 other "luxury" cars within a half mile radius of our house. One was an Audi (from which they took an airbag) and he wasn't sure of the other make or what was taken. Both of the other owners were adamant that their cars were locked and there was no sign of damage.

The police believe that they must have some device to circumvent the locking system, but don't know what at this stage.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions. I think security cameras are in order at our house to protect our other car. I don't think they'll come after the little Hyundai I've got as a courtesy car though!

I find the nice thing about having fold on locking mirrors is you can see very easily the car is locked.

Not necessarily quite so.

On my 211 I can fold the mirrors on locking, but when I unlock then stay put until I actually open either the driver's door or the front passenger door. So it could be unlocked, just not physically opened.

Not necessarily quite so.

On my 211 I can fold the mirrors on locking, but when I unlock then stay put until I actually open either the driver's door or the front passenger door. So it could be unlocked, just not physically opened.

But as pointed out above, if you don't open a door within a certain time (20sec?) they automatically relock

Yes, I think mine does what corned says but then re-locks if you don't open the door within a certain amount of time.

Even our 54 plate Honda Jazz re-locks itself if you don't open the door within a short space of time.

If you unlock, open then close a rear door, then forget to lock back - the mirrors will remain folded and the car unlocked...

Is this 'Guess the unlocked car' competition...? :confused:

:D

have you had the car valeted recently???

There is a device that can copy the key, despite what other forum members say it does exsist and can be found with a space couple of minutes on google. I dont think posting the link here will benefit anyone but the op can pm me if he wants it to forward on to the insurance company.
It involves stripping down the key and placing the chip in to a reader but if the car was left with a garage / car wash then they would have had plenty of time to carry this out.
Also I've had my steering wheel off a few times when I did the paddle shifters and armed simply with a torx bit, a socket, master bar and a tiny flat driver I could have the wheel off in under 5 mins - there really isnt anything to it.
Also the airbag will not deploy if the keys are not in the ignition

have you had the car valeted recently???

There is a device that can copy the key, despite what other forum members say it does exsist and can be found with a space couple of minutes on google. I dont think posting the link here will benefit anyone but the op can pm me if he wants it to forward on to the insurance company.
It involves stripping down the key and placing the chip in to a reader but if the car was left with a garage / car wash then they would have had plenty of time to carry this out.
Also I've had my steering wheel off a few times when I did the paddle shifters and armed simply with a torx bit, a socket, master bar and a tiny flat driver I could have the wheel off in under 5 mins - there really isnt anything to it.
Also the airbag will not deploy if the keys are not in the ignition

Correct, also there is a device that you can insert into a merc/bmw/audi/whatever door lock which "measures" they lock and allows someone to go away and create a key. Circa £800 for the kit IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom