Steering wheel - **** up on the column front

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mejermy

Car
S211, V126, S124 x 2, W169
I'm in the process of swapping the cream leather 7 seat interior from a RHD 124.092 E320T into a LHD 124.186 E250DT. All was going so well; new interior out of the donor car and the donor car ready for the crusher. Just needed a steering wheel back in it to drive it to the scrappy, so decided to do the swap of the nice 320 wheel (M plate, and soft feel) for the loppy 250 wheel (frayed stitched leather). The problem is that the mechanism behind the airbag on the 250 is like a computer bus ribbon tightly wound into concentric rings, and now on my tractor shed floor in a mess, and probably unrewindable. The mech behind the 320 bag is a simple arrangement of several brass-like concentric rings which contact 4 metal upstand stubs in the column. There seems to be no way of exchanging wheels. This may be further complictaed by the RHD/LHD element, although I'm happy to have indicators on either side, and would happily delete the airbag. I understand the mechs are 'steering wheel deflection' measures. A replacement for the 250 spiral (A1704600149) is £71 from Inchcape, so that's an affordable get out, bt I'll still need a better wheel at a reasonable price. Anyone been here before and found a solution?

Don`t understand,sorry.You steering wheel should swap to the other one without a hint

There should only be one torque nut in the middle which you should remove carefully (ideally with two people, one holding the steering wheel or you'll break the lock). What you have described may possibly be the clock spring, if you've undone the four bolts which hold the airbag and horn assembly in place, you may need a new one.

Why it won't swap

Should have taken pix, but rather late now. The wheel fitted to the LHD has a steering angle sensor (that's what my MB approved service agent, Europa Sheffield, - not concessionnaire) says it is. I do have some faith in them. It is in the form of a catherine wheel of ribbon, rather like computer bus ribbon wound inside a plastic cartridge. I probably shouldn't have opened the cartridge................ The ribbon is now un get back in-able. The scrapper E320T, now long gone, but wheel, interior, etc retained, has a wheel with four concentric brass rings set in the back contacting four stubs of brass protruding from the column. All this on both carsis tied in with the airbag system as well. I let the column go with the scrap car as I had to drive it to the yard. Stopped at the gates of the scrap yard by a Police/VOSA check team and let go by the skin of my teeth. Tyres just legal, but only one seat, and bare metal inside with all exposed wires and no windows except front and back screens. I had checked everything and I felt it roadworthy, but they were hungry for convictions, just not this one. Exciting times.
So that's the issue. May mean a complete column change, and if no-one has any suggestions a visit to Europa.

Thanks for your interest.

To NW Merc

Missed your reply whilst answering d W124. I have the airbags (two allen screws each one) out of both cars, and both steering wheels off, but the scrapper (124.092) didn't have the same insides under the bag. Just an airbag red plug IIRC. Your description of 'clock spring' is apposite for the inside of the 124.186 which is the keeper car. I think you're correct, and it's either swap columns to make the keeper identical to the scrapper, which does look a neater setup, or just buy the clock spring at £70 quid ish on MB Inchcapes site. I was hoping for someone having a quick fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom