Steering wheel vibration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Driverjohn

Car
2009 Mercedes E350
I've just changed all discs and pads on my 2009 E350. Before I changed the discs my steering was perfect. Since changing them I have developed a shake on my steering wheel similar to the wheels being out of balance. The hubs were all cleaned up, I have even tried another new pair of discs on the front no difference. I have took the sliders out again and made sure they're moving freely. There is no play in any of the ball joints or steering rack. Totally stumped now

Are you sure it's coming from the front end ? Harmonics will often be from the rear but will travel through the chassis and appear to be coming from the front.

Definitely the front end, the steering wheel is vibrating. I've had the back wheels off and can't see anything wrong

you didn't accidently knock one of the wheel balancer weights off in the process did you? Easy done?

Maybe get the wheels balanced and see if it helps?

you didn't accidently knock one of the wheel balancer weights off in the process did you? Easy done?

Maybe get the wheels balanced and see if it helps?
No mate, brand new wheels with no weights on them. I've had the wheels rebalanced but still the same. Totally baffled

vibrates all the time or just when braking?

Very strange, It must be something brake related if it only happened once you had changed the discs and pads. Does it do it at any speed or specific speeds? Any unusual noises associated with it?
Do the brakes work fine or any judder?

I had this on a Jaguar, it turned out to be the new discs the shop i bought them from said it was nothing to do with them, i contacted the manufacture and he said that they had been recalled and the shop never sent them back to be changed, the shop was still sh*t and the manufacturer gave me my money back in the end. since then i only buy from Jaguar or now MB it may be a bit more but what you get is good without the agro. Have you tried putting the old discs back on, i bet it will be ok if so back you go with them.

Basically suspect rotor/wheel run out.
With discs rotors the manufacturing trend has been to reduce the thickness of the rotor where it contacts the hubs arr". (unsprung weight trends etc)
This issue was legendary on mid 1990's BMW 3 series where the trade suddenly received a lot of comebacks .
The focus was on making sure the hub to rotor face was clean and free of dirt and rust deposits etc,.
The wheel nut torque and techniques were cited as possible distortion points causing the wheel to have run out issues and steering vibros
Of course combined with all that was poor manufacturing of parts, a lot of it coming out of China to even complicate the issues some more.
AP Parts Lemington Spa UK , moved with its famous high end Brembo range to China.

These days you can't rule out any of these factors but it would seem the new rotors you purchased are the first are to focus upon.
If its any consolation!!
I/We have just rebuilt a, 4,6 Landrover engine only upon start up to discover the valve /cam followers lifter were e defective right out of the package.
That meant a new teardowns fix it.
The workshop shop has to eat the bill for it !
This stuff happens every day with defective parts , and is worse in countries which are not fully industrialized, or de-industrialized .
Running a repair business in a place like Venezuela, you quickly learn to import genuine parts or suffer customer comebacks & complaints of poor workmanship
All the best
Tuercas Viejas .

I had this on a Jaguar, it turned out to be the new discs the shop i bought them from said it was nothing to do with them, i contacted the manufacture and he said that they had been recalled and the shop never sent them back to be changed, the shop was still sh*t and the manufacturer gave me my money back in the end. since then i only buy from Jaguar or now MB it may be a bit more but what you get is good without the agro. Have you tried putting the old discs back on, i bet it will be ok if so back you go with them.

I've returned the discs to the shop and exchanged them. I've even had a clock on the discs to make sure they're running true. Unfortunately I threw the old discs as I've never had a problem like this before

Can't remember the name of the brand. Got them from a brake's shop that me and my mate's have been using for 25 years. I've had a clock on the discs to make sure they're running true

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom