Steering wheel wobble on AMG cars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had a steering wheel vibration at the C350e at the same speeds you are describing.

The Mercedes dealer could not fix it the car was at the garage for 3 weeks out of the 7 weeks of ownership.

At the end I rejected the car as I was fed up with going back and forth.
And bought the 640d GranCoupe instead.

Insist for them to fix it. Don't keep a car if you are not [emoji817] happy

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Just at cruising, acceralation or cruising doesn't seem to make a difference. Obviously when I take my foot off accelerator it slows down and the vibration goes away at 82 and below. But accelerating at 70 or other speeds is fine

Maybe stick to the speed limit [emoji23][emoji23] just kidding.

Agree with above, insist for them to fix it and happy you got a helpful dealer.

Check the tyres too.

Maybe stick to the speed limit
emoji23.png
emoji23.png
just kidding.

It’s clear the OP is testing his car in Germany ;)

As others said it could be many things... but front wheels balancing is the most obvious culprit.

You had one wheel and one tyre replaced, so you have already eliminated 50% of the front wheels balancing as the possible cause....

Unfortunately with staggered wheels you can't rotare the wheels back to front (or rather you can, but I don't know what it will do to the car's handling, or if the rear wheels will clear the front arches).

But I would try and find a way to eliminate the remaining wheel and tyre, before proceeding with replacing suspension components or wheel bearings etc.

I appreciate that the dealer might be reluctant to supply another new wheel and tyre without proof that there's anything wrong with it, but perhaps you can see if someone will loan you a pair of suitable front wheels and tyres just for testing.

Another option would be to find a place that do the wheel balancing on the car. This will help mitigate other possible issues such as unbalanced front brake discs or wheel hubs, or the mating faces of the the hub or wheel not being true.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue on an Audi.
Turned out to be a blister on the inside tyre wall.
When the wheel got to a certain speed the blister would bulge reducing tyre pressure causing a wobble.
It took weeks to find it as when the car was on the ramp the blister was barely visible.

Hope you find it is something simple.

Because they're dealers doesn't make them the best place on the planet to have your car fixed, you'd think it was, but not necessarily:

I had a Passat, it was my vehicle but used as a company hack. So I had it religiously serviced at the local VW Dealership, who I knew quite well.. So, its in for a major service and I get a call "Do you know you need new tyres?" "Yes, I have them here." "Would you like us to install them for you?" So they send a guy out to uplift them from me. I get the car back later in the day and the steering wheel is out of kilter.. but like you I had wheel wobble. It didn't have it when it went in, so why now?? I couldn't hang around to find out as I was due in Manchester the next day so it would have to wait. I had one crap journey down and back, wheel wobbling at 65+ and got worse the faster you went... straight back into the dealers and I was advised that there must be a bulge on one of the new tyres as they couldn't balance it out.. what about the out of kilter steering I ask? "Must have hit a pot hole I was told..".. So for fun I took it to a local tyre fitters I've known for years.. the fitter started laughing hard and called his mates over to see, I should have taken a photo for others but didn't:( My Bad. On the wheel where the original weights were, was double the weight (one on top of the other like a brick) and new weights applied at different areas of the wheel.. It was no wonder I had "WOBBLE" Once cleared and rebalanced all was fine. As to the steering.. an arm had been bent at some point. It was explained that the fitter was new and hadn't worked on a Passat of that kind ...didn't excuse the bent arm, but one new arm later and it was the best drive in a long time.

On another occasion I'd to get my Caddy serviced. A new water pump and Timing belt was order of the day. So in it goes. I get it back and its squealing like a pig. I take it back and its there for the rest of the day. Now, the 1.9SDi is quite a lively beast not the best, but better than VX so I get a call." Was your car running ok when you brought it in?" of course it was.. no issues at all just in for 80k service. Hmm...
I'm told to collect it at 5pm. It was ready. No, it bloody well wasn't... gone was the up & go it once had. Instead it was a gutless wonder.. down into second to overtake a cyclist no other gear would do, it would just die. I'd to limp round my run in an otherwise lifeless car. At 1am just as I'm finishing on the A725 it locked up and dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. I limped into the hard shoulder and parked up. I get recovered to the dealers and was parked up ready for the next day. I get the call " You'd better come in and see me.." Turns out they'd miss timed my engine when fitting the belt, It had wrecked the cylinder head, dropping the remains into No1 and wrecked the bottom end too..One Brand new engine later and all was well..

Moral of the story: Get the dealers to recheck the front wheels and TC/Arms for play - if not then to your local Indie you can trust and sort from there...

Got report on mine today , wish bones inner steering arms and track rod ends.
No wonder there was a bit of play in steering.
4 wheel alignment and that should
steering wheel back to where it should be.

Got report on mine today , wish bones inner steering arms and track rod ends.
No wonder there was a bit of play in steering.
4 wheel alignment and that should
steering wheel back to where it should be.
Do they all need replacing?

Well the op has had a great deal of good advice,it would seem the garage he bought it from have done their best to sort it,at this late stage the advice to look at the rear wheels could be the answer,the problem has all the hall marks of out of balance,I would check all the wheel bearings ,then change any track rods that showed any wear.

While worn suspension joints could be a cause, I'd concentrate on the wheels and tyres first. If one of the fronts was buckled then I'd be taking a close look at the rear on the same side of the car. A wheel alignment issue - unless there's a gross fault - won't cause steering tremor or vibration.

If wheels have already been balanced multiple times without reaching a resolution then it's worth properly checking each rim for any distortion and then, assuming all the rims run straight and true, find someone with a Hunter Roadforce balancing machine as this will show up problems with a load on the tyre that normal dynamic balancing won't. It's quite possible that a tyre is the culprit, especially one that's been subjected to pothole loads.

Once all that's done, if the problem persists then start checking suspension joints, etc.

Many yrs ago a guy left a mini bus into a garage he had a quiver in the steering and they charged him £70 for a stub pin and left the bus back
, but it was not fixed , he asked me to take it a drive and I felt it was drivers side problem and put spare wheel on and hey presto problem
Fixed , it was s slight buckle in the wheel all along.

:ttiuwp:D:D:D:D:D:D Post Pics!!!!
Here she is ruby black with white ash wood.
Mind you I had steering wheel vibrations with this one too... And I thought how bad luck can someone have? Lol
They changed 2 pairs of front brake disks and 3 pairs of front pads and did 3 times wheel balancing.
This sorted out the problems... Not sure if runflats were partially to blame as they were brand new tyres and maybe they needed some miles on them?
aa16f4a14456ce8ddf229da00993b5e5.jpg
7489cf2b6ae8618a675a60ffd01d94b5.jpg
569b211672c84c6344eceee44d50429c.jpg

Mind you I had steering wheel vibrations with this one too... And I thought how bad luck can someone have? Lol
They changed 2 pairs of front brake disks and 3 pairs of front pads and did 3 times wheel balancing.
This sorted out the problems... Not sure if runflats were partially to blame as they were brand new tyres and maybe they needed some miles on them?

Just gorgeous!!

Looks lovely.

Got mine back today , all new parts fitted and wheels alignment done , cost £ 300 but worth every penny driving like a dream now .
I can start now to tidy up the wee odds and ends I can do myself. Struggling what colour to paint the calipers , and give the paintwork a good mop
and polish. And get the smell of a smoker totally removed.
Bit of work but keeps me from going mad.

Might not be relevant but I had same wobble over around 85mph which dealer would not road test for me, so basically left me to sort out myself. Turned out I had one runflat and one identical tyre of the non-runflat variety on my front end!! V Hard to tell as the writing on both tyres was virtually the same apart from 1 or 2 characters somewhere around the rim. Once changed was fine.

From memory, one was a silentcomfort tyre, the other a non silent identical tyre (aside from one or two characters). One has a lining on the interior, the other just air!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom