Steering Wheel Wobble :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mpc

Car
2018 S205 C250 AMG LINE PREMIUM D AUTO
I have had my car wheels balanced several times now but there is still a wobble on my steering wheel at about the 55-65mph speed!
It's driving my OCD nuts.
I had all 4 tyres changed recently to continental contisport 5 as the previous owner had all mixed tyres. I had hoped this might have improved the situation but there is still a wobble there.
I am now wondering if its worth going to a different outfit to get the wheels balanced again or am i gonna have to live with it?
I'm pretty sure all alloys are straight otherwise the fitters would have mentioned it to me?
Any other ideas as to what could be the culprit?

I currently have the same issue with my car - very small buckle in a front rim after a pothole incident, tyre fitters took 2 visits to notice it!
Rim being replaced next week - £521+vat !

Quite possibly a worn bush in the suspension somewhere, old BMWs were notorious for exactly this.

Quite possibly a worn bush in the suspension somewhere, old BMWs were notorious for exactly this.
The car has just had a full service, i'm pretty sure if there was a problem with this the garage would have let me know.

If you are getting the wheels balanced at the same place, take it somewhere else that knows what they are doing. I had a similar situation. The place that finally balanced my wheels said that you'd be surprised at the amount of garages that don't know how to balance wheels properly.

If you are getting the wheels balanced at the same place, take it somewhere else that knows what they are doing. I had a similar situation. The place that finally balanced my wheels said that you'd be surprised at the amount of garages that don't know how to balance wheels properly.

This is what I was wondering.
I have booked the car into a place that uses the Hunter road force balancing machines. Spoke to guy over phone who seemed very knowlegable and was confident he would be able to solve the wobble...
Fingers crossed.

I had our tracking corrected a couple of months ago as the last i drove our SLK there was really bad vibration and veering off to the right. Job done and all was good. Drove it yesterday (to be MOT'd) and having put the summer 17" wheels back on I thought funny wheel vibration at about 60 mph. MOT test revelled both ball joints on the control arms to hub on the passenger side and worn (and according to the tester with the effects masked by the fact that Merc springs are so stiff).

So if the wheels are balanced and the tracking is good then I reckon it would most likely be the control arms (I have the pleasure of this job at the weekend).

The car has just had a full service, i'm pretty sure if there was a problem with this the garage would have let me know.

If it was easily spottable perhaps but a lot of that type of issue aren't when the suspension is loaded.

So i had all the wheels balanced at different garage this afternoon on a Hunter force wheel balancing machine. The guy doing it said the machine is a lot more accurate than the standard balancing machines.
Anyway the result is no more steering wobble :)
I also had a 4 wheel alignment done. And as the weather is nice I also had the aircon recharged!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom