Steering wheel wobble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Driverjohn

Car
2009 Mercedes E350
Hi, I have a 2009 E350. I've changed discs and brakes all round. I have new 19 inch alloys and Michelin tyres on it. Before changing the discs the steering was perfect. Since putting new discs on I now have a shake on the steering wheel similar to the balancing being out. I've had the wheels rebalanced but it's made no difference. Anybody got any ideas please

The mating face between disc and hub MUST be scrupulously clean. The tiniest particle of grit, rust or anything else trapped between them can cause the disc and hence wheel to run out of true, with symptoms as you describe.

Remove the discs, pain in the rear though that is, and meticulously clean the mating surfaces with a sanding flap wheel, sandpaper, wire brush or similar, then wipe with brake cleaner. Reassemble and things should be ticketty boo.

The mating face between disc and hub MUST be scrupulously clean. The tiniest particle of grit, rust or anything else trapped between them can cause the disc and hence wheel to run out of true, with symptoms as you describe.

Remove the discs, pain in the rear though that is, and meticulously clean the mating surfaces with a sanding flap wheel, sandpaper, wire brush or similar, then wipe with brake cleaner. Reassemble and things should be ticketty boo.
I'll take them off and check, but I wire brushed the hubs before refitting the discs and also used copper grease

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom