Steering wobble - bad tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cobra2222

Car
E350 CDI Coupe
Hi all,

I have a steering wheel shake and vibration in the seats when going over 60mph.. I have had the wheels balanced three times and have replaced both front wheel bearings, tie rod inner and ends and also new discs and pads but its still there.. am I only now left with it being bad front tyres?

Unless the wheels buckled badly. Have you tried front to backing the wheels? Could be out of round tyre

garage checked the wheels and said they were ok and no I haven't, the rears are wider, would that matter for testing purposes?

I wouldnt know as unsure of clearences on the front. Thats the worst bit of staggered set. How old are the tyres? How worn?

Tyres are about 4 months old with loads of tread, goodyear eagle f1's

I think I'd try to isolate wheel problems with a front to back swap. Even though there staggered, if they fit over the brakes ok, careful with full lock and avoid hard cornering.

When did the vibration start?

Wheel shake n seat vibrations at 60mph all point towards wheel balancing both front n rear.

Different operators makes the difference.

Maybe get these balanced at another place and make sure they remove old weights.

No point changing front to back as i am preetty certain vibrations will still occur.

I've had it balanced three times by three different garages. Rear tyres are about 2 weeks old, I'll try the wheel swap anyway as can't hurt to try

When you replaced the discs were the hub flanges scrupulously cleaned? The tiniest imperfection near the centre of the wheel is much bigger at the tyre.

So I swapped the wheels and the vibration had gone in the seats but the wheel shook a tiny bit but I'm assuming that's because I've swapped the wheels for testing. Looks like I'll get some new tyres in the week

Have you checked the bushes on steering rack mountings?
Anti roll bar bushes, droplinks etc.

It would seem to indicate wheel balance though, and a hunter geometry check is very good too. Good point about your hubs being free of any contamination. It's amazing what small imperfections can be magnified at speed.

I didn't really go after the steering rack or anti roll etc as I'm not getting and noises or knocks when turning etc

Maybe I'll check out this hunter balancing

Stupid question I expect, but what do you mean?

The deep dish wheels centre hole is cosmetically central so placing the mounting dye there gives an incorrect reading whereas mounting the wheel on a studded plate simulates how the wheel is mounted on the car.

The deep dish wheels centre hole is cosmetically central so placing the mounting dye there gives an incorrect reading whereas mounting the wheel on a studded plate simulates how the wheel is mounted on the car.

Interesting, does this affect many MB models? I wonder how many tyre fitters know this.

Possibly also:-
Bit of play in the wheel bearings
Worn Shocks
Upper or lower ball joints/swivels
Track Rod ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom