Steering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmy

MB Enthusiast
Car
Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
Not sure if this is an old one!

I recently read on another forum about the 'characteristic' of c-classes pulling to the left. I did not think that mine did until after I read the topic. Now I notice a definite slight pull towards the verge/ditch on country roads. It is fine on nice flat roads but noticable on the rougher roads.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Should I get my tracking/geometry checked at the next service or is it just caused by the camber of the road and is to be expected/accepted?

It doesnt really bother me and is not dangerous but now I am wondering if there is something not quite right and perhaps I ought to get it looked at.

Jimmy:  unless you've experienced any adverse tyre wear etc I wouldn't mess with it...particularly if it's fine on decent road surfaces.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jimmy @ Oct. 29 2002,10:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Now I notice a definite slight pull towards the verge/ditch on country roads. It is fine on nice flat roads but noticable on the rougher roads.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
I would not worry about any slight steering traits on country roads.

Originally posted by jimmy
Not sure if this is an old one!

I recently read on another forum about the 'characteristic' of c-classes pulling to the left. I did not think that mine did until after I read the topic. Now I notice a definite slight pull towards the verge/ditch on country roads. It is fine on nice flat roads but noticable on the rougher roads.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Should I get my tracking/geometry checked at the next service or is it just caused by the camber of the road and is to be expected/accepted?

It doesnt really bother me and is not dangerous but now I am wondering if there is something not quite right and perhaps I ought to get it looked at.

Jimmy,

Strange. I've got the idea in my head that mine pulls to the left a little...

Nothing too much, just the idea that it goes left easier than it goes right. Wondering if its just me though...

Originally posted by paulfoel

Strange. I've got the idea in my head that mine pulls to the left a little...

Nothing too much, just the idea that it goes left easier than it goes right. Wondering if its just me though...

Im wondering if its down to safety issues here.If you say passed out at the wheel on an ( A ) road for instance the car would veer to the left and up a verge which is AWAY from on coming traffic.

My car also drifts very slightly to the left. I've always put it down to the camber of the road. Roads generally have a slight camber so that rain drains away to the side.

I have messed about with this a lot, having had problems when I initially got the car, and it is definitely down to the camber of the road. If you drive on the inside lane of a motorway, you will notice it pulls to the left in that it requires more effort to hold the wheel in the centre position. If you drive on the outside lane, there is a very slight camber change which will mean it pulls to the right slightly. (not suggesting that everybody hogs the centre lane, of course). This is more apparent on normal roads though, and even more so on narrower roads with a marked camber.

. . . nothing to do with the wheel not being straight though - if I hold my wheel straight, the car goes straight now (after lots of messing about by the stealer) - and if I let go, it will drift to the left or the right more easily, depending on which side of the road I'm on ! You shouldn't put up with a car that pulls to the left (or right) with a wheel that is dead centre - this is not acceptable and can be sorted. No matter what the dealer tells you - they are not "all like that" !!

S.

Originally posted by simonl
My car also drifts very slightly to the left. I've always put it down to the camber of the road. Roads generally have a slight camber so that rain drains away to the side.
I find that I naturally expect a tiny drift to the left, so compensate. This works fine...until you drive in FR, NL or DE where your car drifts slightly to the right! Took a while to get used to that! :)

Originally posted by GDC200
All right hand Mercedes are made to pull 2% to the left for a safety reason. Should the driver fall asleep at the wheel then the car will vear away from oncoming traffic and hopefully the fatal head on crash that would ensue.

If the car is left alone on its factory settings the tyres will be set to minimise wear, and still be set to avoid a head on crash.

The question is why do dealers accept money to adjust cars and do laser geometry tests which inevitably prove the car is running exactly as designed. Why not just explain its meant to veer left a little to save your life! .....Money maybe.:(

Sorry - I assume you have this info from a good source, but I find that hard to believe ! A properly engineered car should not pull to the left or the right - in my opinion, anyway ! Can understand that there might be a safety reason for it - but to build in a noticeable effort in driving the car normally sounds absolute madness to me !!

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom