Stelios' easyFoodstore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just wonder if the majority of customers are indeed poor people with large families for whom this shop makes a real change, or just compulsive 'bargain hunters' who can't resist the prospect of saving a few pennies?

markjay said:
I just wonder if the majority of customers are indeed poor people with large families for whom this shop makes a real change, or just compulsive 'bargain hunters' who can't resist the prospect of saving a few pennies?

I'm a compulsive bargain hunter and if a store like that was nearby I'd happily take advantage of it, most of the stock they have is 'cupboard' food which would be handy. Fresh stuff I could just get from the big guys or butchers etc

Although as mentioned above it might smell like JD Sports on a 50% off sale day, which isn't pleasant

I think most of us can easily forget just how much of a financial struggle it is for some to get by.
Its not a shop I would frequent, but I can see the attraction for some.
If its unpleasant smells you seek, try travelling on late night tubes or trains in London.
Those would make the 25p shop smell like a perfume counter in Harrods I am sure.

Stellios intends to open more shops. The question that comes to my mind is if will be able to employ staff, provide them with decent working conditions, and fair pay?

If he is able to pay his staff the London living wage or more, and still sell at these prices, then hats off to him.

But if this is going to be yet another Amazon-style operation where the staff are overworked and underpaid, then one wonders is it is acceptable that the customers and the proprietors benefit at the expense of the employees.

25p shop will transform next month or two to a 50p shop than probably a month after to a Pound shop. Oh wait, what happened with The Pound Shop.
And at the end it will offer you a bargain which is in real a rip off because other retailers have better deals for the same/similar products.
However hat down for good cheap national marketing.

But if this is going to be yet another Amazon-style operation where the staff are overworked and underpaid, then one wonders is it is acceptable that the customers and the proprietors benefit at the expense of the employees.

The same question could be asked of any new discount retailer or any new business for that matter. I won't prejudge as it's very early days yet. So, it's thumbs up from me for the time being.

I understand that Aldi and Lidl pay more than their competitors.

Aldi have also recently stopped selling produce upon which a range of Bee killing chemicals are used. (If the bees die, we all die!)

I understand that Aldi and Lidl pay more than their competitors.

Who are their competitors? Asda? Tesco?

Seems very sad to me. People desperately buying a load of crap because it's cheap, no care for whether it's something they should be eating it, or buying it. Probably inviting loads of flack here, but personally, I care about what I eat, and I care about what it comes from.

Too many people who will be buying these 25p jaffa cakes will be suffering really bad health consequences as a result of their diet, which will also be affecting their ability to work, and earn, thus keeping them in poverty.

(Ducks and runs for cover).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom