Stereo Removal on Older Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

01alam

Hello,

I have a W114 and I am trying to remove the stereo player on it and replace it by a newer model. However, I am struggling to take the old one out, do I have to remove any trim to do that?

Thanks.
Angus

Some pictures might help? However if its the old type pre-din slot fitting they are normally mounted via the two knob spindles on the front of the set. If you pull the knobs off and remove the face plate you should see two brass nuts on threaded studs holding the unit to the mounting plate on the dash. The unit is then removed by retracting towards the front of the car and lowering it to beneath the dash. there may also be mounting bracket at the rear of the radio you will have to access from behind the dash also.You will begin to see why they moved to the din slot system!

this is quite a useful site http://www.fitaudio.com/

Last edited:
if its standard DIN sized then its likely it will be held in with clamps. Push some 1cm wide long thin metal parts down each side at the same time, and then try to pull. many new stereos come with these "keys" but you can make your own. old credit card cut in 2 may also do the job.

if you are replacing the stereo with a new one then see if the new stereo has the "keys" in the box to use on the old stereo.

if the stereo is really old ie original with the 2 knobs then i agree with grober above.

If its a two knob job and your gonna replace it with a newer DIN sized unit be prepared for lots of cutting and chopping about as the hole wont be anywhere near big enough, if your not sure and your worried about your dash it may be worth paying someone to do it for you, i have been fitting upgraded ICE to all my old cars for years and some of the hack jobs i've had to try and fix have been amazing.

Thanks all, the car has had an older Sony CD player fitted so I guess I will try taking it out with the method mentioned. Thanks for the help. Will let you know how it go on, cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom