Stering Wheel Badge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GregE240

Car
1990 500SL
Don't know if this has already been done, but the steering wheel on my E240 is all black. I'm sure it would look better with a nice chrome 3 pointed star in the middle of it, similar to the later steering wheels. I think the C class wheels are the same.

So....

1) Has anyone done it?
2) Part number?
3) Cost?

I'm going to order my new pedal covers this week (or early next) so if I can get a part number for the badge then I'll do that at the same time.

Cheers!

I agree with you Greg - my steering wheel is also very boring.... considering swapping the entire wheel for something a bit nicer... but OEM prices are ££££ scarey !

So I guess a 3 pointed star would do for now !

Simon.

erm , i thought about doing this before.

If you look at the badge in the middle of the steering wheel that is there already . Its raised and becauase of the airbag unit below it , i would not like to try and trim it.

A new airbag might be the only way to be honnest. And a small star is not worth a new airbag.:(

....you're right - a "botch" job would be a bad idea .... will just have to save up for a new wheel..... I don't suppose anybody has a second hand one for sale ?!?!?!

S.

I have the chromed centre badged wheel, I think its similar to the SLK so I was told....

I think the wheel inside the Sport and C230K models has a chrome badge on it, thats the sort of thing I was thinking of.

No way would I buy a new wheel just to get a chrome badge....I bet the price necessitates a good lie down!

Jason (Fuzzer), agree 100%, I just wondered if there was some sort of self adhesive badge that you could stick straight over the top of the badge shape that is pressed into the current wheel. It would be a brave man to take apart a car part with an explosive device built into it.

Notice the "daddy" modder is quiet on this one thus far.....Koolvin?

Its just a new airbag module you need , even with the new steering wheel you would need a new module.

Originally posted by sym
....you're right - a "botch" job would be a bad idea .... will just have to save up for a new wheel..... I don't suppose anybody has a second hand one for sale ?!?!?!

S.

I have already done some investigation into this and here's what I found out:

There was a recall on certain w202 steering wheel airbags, if your car is within a range of chassis numbers you are entitled to a new airbag FOC. The new airbag will have the chrome star on it. I checked by ringing the MB recall number (milton keynes) and they looked on the computer for me, my (previous :( ) car isn't covered by that range so I had to keep my airbag with the plastic star. It is entirely possible the same airbag issues were also in certain w210s, why not ring up and see if you have any recalls due for your car? Your stealership can find out for you, or they can give you the number to try yourself.

A new airbag is about £350-400. Ouch.

Your best bet is to buy a second hand steering wheel from someone like MBenzNL, if you buy a facelift steering wheel it will have the chrome star. Why not finish the package with a facelift instrument cluster and comand? :)

I have visions of a chrome star being embedded in somebodys forehead after an accident.....................not funny really.

To be honest Jimmy...me too. If it was integral to the wheel (like the later ones) then all well and good, but stuck on with a bit of araldite.....I'm not so sure.

Re Comand and facelifted instrument cluster.....the latter probably not. Comand is a definite maybe, but I've no idea of cost and who the hell would fit it for me? I'm mechanically minded (done gearbox and engine outs etc, in my murky past) but I'm a bit skeptical about taking my centre console to pieces......and where would I get the parts from? Don't say a dealer....I like both my kidneys where they are.

Dont be worried - I took mine to bits and it wasnt so bad. the W210 is a solid car and everything went back fine with no squeaks or rattles afterwards.

.............. you just have to remember what goes where and dont drop any little screws! Same Principal as the mechanical side I guess?

Parts for the dash mod were around £150 from a dealer - you have to order the right wood to fit the switches in your car.

Comand available from ebay (only buy a new one! cost around £700 (1,000 Euros ish)

I can give you a few tips form my own recent experience if you want to go ahead - total project cost just to retrofit comand into the previous single din dash was around £1,000 incl sat nav map & wiring etc.

:)

Thanks for the info Steve....this is looking like a home for my next bonus!

BTW, is there anything to be gained in sourcing a unit from Steve (MBenzNL)? I'd guess these might be a little cheaper than a new unit?

The electronics part of it scares me though TBH...and can you hook up a CD multichanger? It would be great to listen to music whilst using the satnav part....

Thanks again,

Greg

Originally posted by GregE240
BTW, is there anything to be gained in sourcing a unit from Steve (MBenzNL)? I'd guess these might be a little cheaper than a new unit?
Steve probably won't be any cheaper than anyone else for second hand units, he can supply new units too though and they will be a lot cheaper than the price you'd get from a stealership. The best reason for asking Steve to find you a second hand one is that a lot of the ebay comands are duds, he will have filtered the duds out so only sells on good ones ;)
Originally posted by GregE240
The electronics part of it scares me though TBH...and can you hook up a CD multichanger? It would be great to listen to music whilst using the satnav part...
Yes, it needs to be the optical changer which is oem on a lot of models.

There is no electronics to be worried about, assuming you can find the speed pulse wire, you only have to plug comand in like any other headunit. The difficult part is making the dashboard look good, but if you have a w210 then this isn't an issue either because as Steve_bcs said you can get the oem panels and fittings for it from the stealership and it looks factory equipped.

Hi

Yep, Cd changer no problem. I have the OEM MB D2B (fibre optic) changer in the E class which "just" connects into comand and in my ML i used the Becker silverstone CD changer (cant remeber the model number) but they only do one that works with comand.

Just one of the plus points of the '99 C230K over the '98 C200.

dialsandwheel.jpg

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
Just one of the plus points of the '99 C230K over the '98 C200.
It's one of the plus points of the 2000 w202 over the 99 w202, mine is a model year 99 (option code 809) and has the older steering wheel, check your options Graham, I think yours is a 2000 :)

I know it's late 1999, so perhaps.
Sounds stupid that the "1999" model went on sale in 1998, and the same for the "2000" model being sold in 1999.

Reminds me of this:

USAad4.jpg

I get slightly annoyed when companies sell cars listed as a "2004 model" when it's only March 2003, it's like the "February Edition" of a magazine being sold in December (which happens in some cases!). Silly.

Mine is 809 too.
So mine is the same "model year" as yours. Wonder why the steering wheel is different then... :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom