Sterring jammed and active headlight error

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ckember

Car
GLC 350d AMG Premium plus
Hi all

I am looking for some advice on an issue that occurred tonight on the way home with my CLS GE

Just after starting the car and leaving the work car park I have to turn right at a mini roundabout, as I turned right the car didn't seem to want to turn right and jolted to a halt. At the same time the dash displayed "active headlight system disabled or unavailable" . I also found the car was in neutral. Putting it into drive I was able to head off but 10-15 yards later the steering appeared to jam again. I turned off the car and checked for visible issues around the wheels and the wheel arches and couldn't find anything. The error was not showing in the dash display and isn't showing when I look for errors on the dash, but I don't have star so can't check. I then drove about three miles and parked the car for a couple of hours whilst had dinner and had to do a right hand u turn, the steering did feel heavier on the right than when turning left.

on return I checked that turning the steering wheel from lock to lock the compass on the comand also showed where the wheels should point from -20 to +20 deg and everything looked fine. I then drove 50 miles home without issues.

Can anyone shed light on the possible causes as I am now concerned that the steering may fail at higher speeds

Best regards
Chris

Today I had another instance of what appears to be the steering wheel jamming when I turned right. I had to force the wheel to straighten the car to avoid crashing at 20-30mph. The car was then ok for the rest of the 30 mile journey to work, however tonight when I tried to start the car the ignition key was recognised and it had to be recovered by mobile.

Is it possible the ignition module and the solenoid have been failing causing the steering wheel to jam? This is a real safety issue if it does this as I could have taken out traffic or myself.

Will the be covered by the MB their 1 warranty?

Should be covered by warranty as it it clearly is a safety issue. Get it into MB ASAP.

Do you think that the it is the Power Steering that is failing? As opposed to the steering is jamming? Either way it should go into MB ASAP. Please post up your result.

My previous car (BMW 330i M-sport) did a similar thing as it would pull violently to one side.....was a steering position sensor. Not sure the have them on Mercs though so just a thought.

The recovery company only delivered my car to the dealer 22 hours after they recovered it last night, so the dealer hasn't yet had a chance to examine it. Will post update when I no more. Not sure if it was the power steering failure but when it stuck it definitely clicked when I tried to straighten the wheel

The dealer called today to say that one of the keys is causing the problems I had with the car not starting, but can't yet decide if the intermittent nature of the steering fault is related, but it's possible. They are ordering a new key and will apply for the costs of the key under warranty.

I will see tomorrow if it's all ok

Picked up the car today. Dealer is ordering a new key under warranty, they don't know why the steering jammed, only that the key may have been intermittent so the car thought it was being stolen!!!! The new key will take 5-7 days.

Whilst it was in, I was given a new w205 220cdi bluetec with agility. The new comand system was a pleasure to use, but I did find the DAB reception more intermittent than my ntg2.5 version in the CLS. Having two phones connected, one for calls and one for music worked well and what the media interface plus should have done I tried last year. Not sure I like the steering though, very light even in sport mode.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom