Steve Jobs Resigns....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
BP was only principal contractor in the last Gulf Spill, the companies whose equipment & methodology failed were US companies. Not that I'm saying the Yanks are protectionist:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That is not true i'm afraid BP are not a contractor they are an operator and were the owner of the well. Transocean were commissioned by BP to supply the drilling rig and do the drilling. Who in turn relied on the expertise of the American giants Haliburton to do the cementing of the well. Transocean blamed the failure on BP's design of the well and BP blamed the failure on Transoceans equipment being unseaworthy, the two are now locked in a massive court battle. Transocean were operating to BP's design and drilling programme and were the contractor for the job.

Edit: apart from when you are salivating over the delightful Gordon Brown...

'Frothing at the mouth' would be a more appropriate phrase - salivating makes it sound like I'd want to eat him (euggggghhh!).

:devil:

You have this rather bizarre way of saying something that's not giving a personal viewpoint and then you try and pick apart someone elses point.

No. What I do is point out a shade of grey to people who point out black or white.

So if you say 'Microsoft bad bad bad' I'll say 'but they did this dodgy thing' to offset that. If you say 'MS good good good' then I'll say 'but they did that quite impressive thing'.

Part of the problem with the way modern brands are perceived is that people ascribe character and qualities to the a good brand without thinking "where's the beef" and what's actually behind the front door of the HQ.

Apple are quite extraordinary. Compared with a traditional consumer electronics company like Sony or a computer company like Sun (RIP) or IBM they have very few products lines. They only have one major piece of core technology (Mac OS). They have some cute design features - some of which will be patented or copyrighted because they are easy to copy.

Now saying that bluntly doesn't mean I'm against Apple. But in matter of fact way I'm laying out that they're not this solid tower of technological strength in the market that people seem to think they are. They're actually a brand like Nike or Coke. The real value of the company is the goodwill. Which to a degree is vapour.

No. What I do is point out a shade of grey to people who point out black or white.

So if you say 'Microsoft bad bad bad' I'll say 'but they did this dodgy thing' to offset that. If you say 'MS good good good' then I'll say 'but they did that quite impressive thing'.

So what you are saying is that you like to play 'Devils Advocate'.

I must admit that although I do my best to look at an issue from all angles, I'm ultimately a 'black & white' man. Grey areas tend to be the domain of people that dither and I don't mix well with ditherers.

So what you are saying is that you like to play 'Devils Advocate'.

I must admit that although I do my best to look at an issue from all angles, I'm ultimately a 'black & white' man. Grey areas tend to be the domain of people that dither and I don't mix well with ditherers.

No. I just question substance.

Let the herd stampede over the cliff. I'll try and think before following.

Mr Spock et all beat Apple years ago...

Attachments

• padd.jpg
    padd.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 65
I think apple are weird.
Even at the start they did things that forced people to pay, even if it was just 'drip' payments for fonts to their os.

What I will say for them, and something little credit is ever given. Is that even though they have few product lines and whether they're the innovators many claim or not, they ARE able to have manufactured products of outstanding quality way ahead of the game. From a design, management, logistics point, however you look at it, that's a great achievement in this day and age.

they ARE able to have manufactured products of outstanding quality way ahead of the game. From a design, management, logistics point, however you look at it, that's a great achievement in this day and age.

I don't perceive the actual physical quality of plastic cased Apple products to be any better than the other IT and electronic consumer products. There are nice design features (and sensible physical layout) of the Apple products to be sure. But plastics and cabling (IME) have been no better and possibly worse than mainstream competition.

The newer aluminium cases certainly do feel better. But in the Macbooks this comes at a a large cost premium over alternative products with equivalent CPU/disk/memory specifications.

I think Apple apply more thought in some areas. And if you buy a Macbook it comes with iLife and not some mixed up irritating suite of odds and ends that you get with a Tosh, Acer, Sony, or Dell.

The newer aluminium cases certainly do feel better.

I just dropped a 21 inch iMac made out of solid aluminium (well certainly the base) on my foot. It felt awful and left a very large bruise and blood blister.

Computer still works though.

I just dropped a 21 inch iMac made out of solid aluminium (well certainly the base) on my foot. It felt awful and left a very large bruise and blood blister.

Charles, you poor thing. Hope you've got someone to kiss it better (and for the avoidance of doubt, no, I'm not offering).

I inadvertently sent my cheapo, plastic-cased Medion all-in-one touchscreen PC crashing onto a wooden floor shortly after buying it. Thought it would be a goner, but there was nary a scratch nor a crack. Didn't even need to recalibrate the screen. It never ceases to amaze me how modern applicances can survive abuse that really ought to finish them off.

Charles, you poor thing. Hope you've got someone to kiss it better (and for the avoidance of doubt, no, I'm not offering).

Want a jam doughnut J-B-R? :)

I am out to lunch for a gourmet tripe fest to be followed by Caneton de Challans Tour d'Argent at a friend who is to home cooking what Wagner is to opera. If I can manage the walkies to the tube, I shall be very well medicated imminently.

It really b-lood-y hurt though.

they ARE able to have manufactured products of outstanding quality way ahead of the game. From a design, management, logistics point, however you look at it, that's a great achievement in this day and age.

Didn't their iPhone have issues with reception if you put your hand in the wrong place?

Yup, had much the same thing where I work.

Unsuspecting victim was helping to move aluminium G5s and one fell over onto his foot.

At first, he shouted a lot and I was surprised he was in the that much pain.

Then when he took his sock off, he had much the same as you and a nail had come off too.

Ouch.

Yup, had much the same thing where I work.

Unsuspecting victim was helping to move aluminium G5s and one fell over onto his foot.

At first, he shouted a lot and I was surprised he was in the that much pain.

Then when he took his sock off, he had much the same as you and a nail had come off too.

Ouch.

I sense a class action in the offing - this is beginning to sound like a design flaw. Are those cases somewhat lacking in gripping points, perhaps? May Apple should have provided a pair of rubberised "moving gloves" with every unit... :dk:

Didn't their iPhone have issues with reception if you put your hand in the wrong place?

LIke all producers, you can't always get it right... there have been som design flaws (bulging capacitors in the CRT iMacs, overheating in the early macbook pro's, AFP failing to mount home-directories when you have move then 1024 users, etc) but overall they are pretty well designed bits of kit...

I still wouldn't deploy them in an enterprise environment, but for home-use they are fantastic!

M.

I sense a class action in the offing - this is beginning to sound like a design flaw. Are those cases somewhat lacking in gripping points, perhaps? May Apple should have provided a pair of rubberised "moving gloves" with every unit... :dk:

That'll be the iGlove £59.99 a pair from the Apple Store. They may look like washing up gloves but they come in a nice box. :p

That'll be the iGlove £59.99 a pair from the Apple Store. They may look like washing up gloves but they come in a nice box. :p

i'Llpass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom