Stick to seventy and save fuel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hawk20

MB Enthusiast
Car
ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
What Car? research shows that doing 80mph uses up to 25% more fuel than doing 70mph.

Pretty amazing.
I will try to be good.
I will try to be good.
I will try .....

I'm not so sure this is true in the BMW. In the Volvo definitely though. I saw 39 mpg, average over a motorway journey of about 150 miles a few weeks ago. Was taking it at 60 as I was running very early for my next appointment.

Soon dropped when off the motorway obviously.

Stay at home and save even more fuel. But if you drive - just drive...

Two problems with driving at 70mph are;

1. I'd be the slowest car on the motorway.

2. It'd take a lot longer to get where I'm going.

Two problems with driving at 70mph are;
1. I'd be the slowest car on the motorway.

Come and join me on the M40 - you'll look fast next to me

2. It'd take a lot longer to get where I'm going.

Maybe 10% more time. Try leaving 10% earlier :)

Come and join me on the M40 - you'll look fast next to me

Maybe 10% more time. Try leaving 10% earlier :)

The difference between doing 70mph and 80mph is 10 minutes per 100 miles.

I find that most of the time 70mph is faster than most traffic on a motorway is going. Try using CC at an accurate 70mph and see how long you can go for.

If I am in no particular hurry on the motorway I find an HGV free area and set my CC to 59MPH. That way they don't catch me up (unless they have pulled the fuse) and I dont catch many of them up. Pleasant way to spend a journey.

The difference between doing 70mph and 80mph is 10 minutes per 100 miles.

Which if you are driving 300-400 miles is significant.

I haven't really worked out the fuel consumption at 70 vs 80 on the new car, but my last E320cdi it was 10% more fuel at 80mph for a greater than 10% increase in speed.

90mph plus fairly brought the consumption down, but on a nightime run with quiet "autobhans" you did arrive a lot sooner, which might be more important than an extra tenner of fuel.

I suspect my new car will be juicier at higher speeds, shorter final drives etc, smaller engine.

Going slower always saves fuel.

Ye canna change the laws of physics Capt'n.

I was referring to the 25% saving, not that slower saves fuel.

Depends mainly on the frontal area/drag coefficient of your car i.e. Is it shaped like a brick "s***house/ Range Rover or a Lamborghini Aventador ? An old ready reckoner used to say that on a car with poor aerodynamics at over 100mph each extra 1mph required 10 bhp I reckon the big advantage in recent years has been smooth up the car's underside-- for many years a forgotten area. Would be interesting to see a fuel economy comparison figure quoted for various models at continuous high autobahn speeds - a bit of a surprising omission considering that's what many cars spend most of their life at.

Which if you are driving 300-400 miles is significant.

From my experience it's the person with the strongest bladder who gets to the destination first. Those 'comfort' breaks usually turn in to snack breaks as well.......hey Steve! :)

From my experience it's the person with the strongest bladder who gets to the destination first. Those 'comfort' breaks usually turn in to snack breaks as well.......hey Steve! :)

I'll vouch for that. I was driving home last Saturday making good progress and Steve said stop by with your PTG at about 7:30pm.

Next thing a Curry was consumed and it was about 10:30pm...

Last edited:
And apropo of nothing to do with aerodynamics. [YOUTUBE HD]m5_AKjDdqaU[/YOUTUBE HD]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom