Stick with current tyres sizes or harmonise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any configuration that MB sold the car with should be safe. I'm sure MB spend millions on research but I'll bet marketing sometimes has the final say and they will also adopt anything that sells because it's fashionable.

My take on wider rears is they do it to avoid the car having oversteer on the limit.

Thank you for a well thought out and intelligent response! :)

The point is "as intended" seems to be depending on potential options at purchase.
If you have wider rims at the back you will have different size tyres front and rear. If you have the same width rims all round then the tyres will be the same.

If you have wider rims at the back you will have different size tyres front and rear. If you have the same width rims all round then the tyres will be the same.

Conventionally yes but as the chart in the link below shows there are a range of tyre sizes that may be fitted to a particular wheel rim size.

Tire Width for a Wheel/Rim Size Chart

not always the case , if the previous owner had same size tyres fitted all round, which can be done. if your going down this route try and stick to the ideal tyre size and steer away from the min and max guide sizes, as i find they stretch the tyre sidewalls out making the footprint incorrect .

My CLS came with 19x9.5 rear and 19x8.5 at the front with Pirelli p-zero tyres. I have recently upgraded my wheels to Vossen's and my current set up is 20x10.5 rear and 20x9 front with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s Tyres. This set has had no change in the comfort of the car (which was one of my fears) and it actually feels better on the road than the standard set up.

The lower powered models often get sold with a square setup. Then the bigger engines or sports versions get sold with wider rear tyres. It's partly looks and partly building in understeer for your average Joe.

The square cars often handle better but if you run something like a 225 on a 300bhp+ car it's a bit limited on traction.

I know less about Mercedes but having had BMWs for years they used to run a 3cm difference front to back. Now they tend to use just 2cm, which is what I've seen on my C63.

The lower powered models often get sold with a square setup. Then the bigger engines or sports versions get sold with wider rear tyres. It's partly looks and partly building in understeer for your average Joe.

The square cars often handle better but if you run something like a 225 on a 300bhp+ car it's a bit limited on traction.

I know less about Mercedes but having had BMWs for years they used to run a 3cm difference front to back. Now they tend to use just 2cm, which is what I've seen on my C63.
Usually staggered to balance the need for some steering feel/precision at the front with traction on the driven wheels at the rear.

To a degree.

Then you get cars like the ZL1 with a 285 up front. :D

Thanks all, I am not proposing changing the set up and some of the answers here are have been very helpful.

Today was the first time I have driven 4 up, the ride was much better (it is rather firm and is a little jiggly over poor roads) and the car corners in a very flat manner with good turn in (Pirelli P Zero on the front) although limited feed-back through the wheel. There is one section of road we came back on that has a few turns that may be safely taken at 50mph with undulations in the road in-between the corners that can catch out under-damped cars if taken with..................enthusiasm but the E not only coped very well it drew a compliment from a rear seat passenger for how well controlled the car felt!

Just my tuppence worth however, if that's what Mercedes fit as standard, or as an official option, then I would keep as they are. Im sure Mercedes have spent countless man hours and millions of Euros refining, testing and signing off on safety, handling etc etc - Joe Public is going to swap things around a bit on a sunday afternoon and make it better? I beg to differ. Takes me back to my younger days when I had a Ford Capri, I started buying tat for it from Halfrauds and my dad said " Ford spent thousands of hours and millions of £ in design for that car, and you think throwing £20 worth of plastic on it is going to improve it ?" - he had a point.

Well I've never understood the change in tyre sizes i just think the dealers change them for style as when you look at a brochure my c class estate comes with 17" all round same size back to front and yet when they change the car to look AMG style they change the wheel sizes and wheel arch etc...for what ? To be cool ? Like i said the c-class as standard come in 17 " all round in sport model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom