Stick with w219 320 or get new C class?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lfckeeper

Car
Bmw 5 series (Former W203 C class and 2x W219 CLS owner)
Here's the dilemma. Had a few niggles since I got my 2007 w219 CLS 320. Never anything major, just silly little things.

Mrs LFCKeeper says she wants me to get rid and get a new W205 C class 220 sport cause shes 'sick of talking about the car'.

I dont know what to do. I think my biggest issue is losing that feeling of driving something special and a bit different.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Depreciation on the current 2007 W219 will be modest. Yes you will spend more on maintenance and have the odd issue but unless you have a major mechanical failure its likely to be way cheaper then a new W205. General rule of thumb cars loose 50% of their value every 3 years.

My buying point to get what for me represents the best balance between cost, reliability and overall 'nice car feeling' 5 to 6 years old with 50,000 to 70,000 miles with service history. Budget £1k on top for immediate fixes.

Stop giving wife so much info, just do the maintenance on the car, perhaps if she's not aware the car is in workshop it wont bother her. Just a thought.

Lots of people are scared s**t less about car repairs and buy new to avoid anything other then entirely routine service. Its a perfectly reasonable approach but one that ultimately costs money. No way could I justify buying the new version (W213) of my car but in 4/5 years time...

The plot has thickened with Mrs LFCKEEPER.

Turns out the CLS is an auto so she cant drive it .... and even if she could its too big. She wants a manual C class.

I already knew this but apparently now its an issue for her. :wallbash:

Mercedes and Manual transmission is a recipe for monumental depreciation.

If manual is an absolute must then BMW or Audi are probably better choices sadly.

C class is a nice car but it needs to be auto.

Keep the CLS and offer wife budget to buy her own car. But advise that its then hers and she is entirely responsible for it. washing, cleaning, servicing, MOT, insurance...

Keep the CLS and offer wife budget to buy her own car. But advise that its then hers and she is entirely responsible for it. washing, cleaning, servicing, MOT, insurance...

Yeh, like that would work!

Needless to say it would end up a filthy uninsured rotting wreck! .... i dont even think she knows where the car wash buckets are or worse she'd take it to a car wash :wallbash:

When SWMBO retired I bought her a Fiat Panda 1.2 Manual Easy. (Not as she has done anything wrong you understand) I bought it on the "drip" a PCP thing. Her older car, a Honda Jazz was starting to rust and I could see a few bills looming. This keeps me a) In my car b) Her car in warranty c) It goes for miles at the nearest sniff of an oily rag, d) 30 quid a year road tax and insurance if fairly cheap. Its worth a thought if your SWMBO will downsize her aspirations.

Sure I wash it (the car not SWMBO) and look after it in general but my car is "too big" for her too and I aint downsizing from my S124 yet.

Picantos are not bad if she does not fancy a Panda or the like.

Just stop talking about the car so much.

However, in light of your newer revelation, the size difference is bugger all.

I remember a chap on here was interested in my E55 but his misses thought it would be too big - turns out the E55 was 7 cm longer but narrower than the preferred C class option!

So you could say to her: "That'll be the wider and taller C class you would rather drive, which is only 22.7cm longer."

CLS W219

Dimensions
Length 4913mm
Width 1873mm
Height 1403mm

C W205

Length 4686mm
Width 2020mm
Height 1426mm

How someone can drive a manual and not an auto is beyond me.

Sounds more like a "keeping up with the Jones's" argument to me!

Get her her own car and keep your one. Or change your wife! :D

Just stop talking about the car so much.

However, in light of your newer revelation, the size difference is bugger all.

I remember a chap on here was interested in my E55 but his misses thought it would be too big - turns out the E55 was 7 cm longer but narrower than the preferred C class option!

So you could say to her: "That'll be the wider and taller C class you would rather drive, which is only 22.7cm longer."

CLS W219

Dimensions
Length 4913mm
Width 1873mm
Height 1403mm

C W205

Length 4686mm
Width 2020mm
Height 1426mm

How someone can drive a manual and not an auto is beyond me.

Sounds more like a "keeping up with the Jones's" argument to me!

Get her her own car and keep your one. Or change your wife! :D

Interesting to see those sizes.

Love the look of the new W205. Albeit with proper gunsight star would be better.

However parked next to one yesterday and there is no way it's wider than a w219. Where are those figures from?

Honest John (of course!).

Here are the ones from Parkers:

CLS W219

Length 4913mm
Width 1873mm
Height 1403mm

C W205

Length 4686mm
Width 2020mm
Height 1442mm

Look pretty similar to me...

Wiki has the W205 as 1810mm. Not massively slimmer I guess. Guess the wider measurement might include wing mirrors or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom