Sticking parking brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSM10000

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, Range Rover 5.0 SC, BMW X1
I have had the parking brake cables adjusted and I have also had the clicker re-installed and I have lubricated the pedal mechanism but the brake is still intermittantly not fully releasing.

Any tips or ideas? Is it best to remove, clean and lubricate the assembly or get a new one?Thanks.

I have also noticed that the parking brake is ineffective, in drive the car will pull forward even with the brake fully applied, is it easy to adjust?

I'm not sure how the set up works on a C class, but would assume it's similar to a W124.

In which case, the proper procedure for adjusting the parking brake is to loosen the cable using the adjuster underneath the car, then adjust the individual shoes on each rear wheel by raising them until they contact with the inside of the discs, then back them off 2 or 3 turns. After that, simply tighten the cable under the car to give you between 7 and 11 clicks on the ratchet.

The shoes are adjusted by taking wheel bolt out of wheel to be adjusted, then rotating the wheel until the hole is in the 3 o'clock position, You can then fit a screw driver through the hole and get to the adjuster.

From your post, it sounds like either the cable is sticking, or one or both of the expander mechs need lubricating, which means taking the rear brake discs off.

If you go that far, I'd replace the shoes while you're in there. They're only around 20 gbp for a set from ecp or gsf and come with all the springs etc needed for fitting, including new caliper bolts, so need to buy a seperate fitting kit.

There's nothing especially difficult about fitting them, but it is a bit fiddly getting the springs on to the shoes to hold them in place so prepare for plenty of blaspheming and a few skinned knuckles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom