Sticky Accelerator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nic S

Car
W208 CLK230 Kompressor
My w208 suffers from a slightly sticky accelerator. While not a major problem, it effects the feel of the pedal and is particularly agrivating in traffic. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a solution? MB has done the same thing everytime I have brought this up. Greased the linkage. Other than that, they say that this is normal for a MB.

I'm getting the impression that the cable that links the pedal to the linkage is not running free enough.

I'm getting quite dissalusioned by the faults of in expensive car that MB just brushes off.

If it is a cable operated linkage like on bikes we used to remove the complete cable, hang it vertically in the garage and drip oil down the cable itself inside of the casing. Works every time.
Incidentally I have been thinking exactly the same on my car, the cable seems a little "sticky" but trying to find free time at the moment what with the new bathroom, fireplace, carpets...............

PS My 100 th post, yipee, award myself a bannana.:bannana:

Is it definitely the linkage? You could try swapping the pedals for the "evolution" ones, which might fix the problem. Also, they look way cooler ;)

A thought here, if you hang the cable vertical in the garage and pour oil down it is frees it, right? Arnt all MB cables plastic coated on the bowden cable side? and what effect will the oil have on the plastic coating, would it cause it to swell therby making the cable even tighter?

I have no idea of the "bowden cable side" I was only offering advice on how we use to free off motor bike clutch and throttle cables, at the end of the day you make your own decision if it will do the trick or not, it may even be easier to replace the cable.

Andy please dont think I was being derisive, I wasnt I was just thinking outloud sort of thing and generally asking a question. I have no wish to upset anyone in this forum, too many nice people

I think Shudes "replace the pedal" is the most suspect advice in this thread so far!!!

It does sound like a sticky cable - if you get the cable out, no point in skimping, just replace it IMO.

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
I think Shudes "replace the pedal" is the most suspect advice in this thread so far!!!
Yes, except that the gas pedal hinges, and if the hinge is glued up with something you might get a similar effect, don't forget that the gas pedal is only attached to a computer, not the engine, I don't know if there is the same kind of "cable" that you might get in a conventional car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom