Sticky auto gearbox?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamesdc1

Car
C220 CDi auto
Hi,

I have a 2004 C220 CDi with 70k on the clock, regular servicing and not abused.

The problem is that occasionally, mostly when exiting a roundabout, the engine/garbox sticks in a low gear and keeps the revs up at 3-4k limiting me to 20-30 mph. If I stop and engage neutral, let the engine settle and it's ok to move off again. Problem does occur again unless in similar circumstances.

It's when I approach a roundabout or corner, take my foot of the pedal, roll into the rounabout or corner and hit the pedal again to power out - this is when the engine revs/gearing sticks and the problem occurs.

Any ideas? Do I need to change anything? Replace the gearbox oil & filer?

You help and advice will be appreciated.

James
progress.gif

This almost definitely sounds like a ATF level issue, you're right when you say you should change the oil :)

I suspect you will have a fault code with this.

Get it read first.

Ive got a similar problem, only mine doesnt rev high, it simply 'Thumps' into the next gear. It does it going down the box as well. Usually when powering off a roundabout or pulling away / slowing down for an (upwards) gradient.
Ive had the fault codes read...no faults. Ive change the fluid four times in one day to make sure all old fluid is expelled. I bought a dipstick from the USA and the level is spot on. Still it does it. Scares the hell out of passengers! I can only assume theres a serious mechanical problem and I cant afford £3000 for a new box.
Going to look at a ford focus this weekend.

Hi,

I have a 2004 C220 CDi with 70k on the clock, regular servicing and not abused.

The problem is that occasionally, mostly when exiting a roundabout, the engine/garbox sticks in a low gear and keeps the revs up at 3-4k limiting me to 20-30 mph. If I stop and engage neutral, let the engine settle and it's ok to move off again. Problem does occur again unless in similar circumstances.

It's when I approach a roundabout or corner, take my foot of the pedal, roll into the rounabout or corner and hit the pedal again to power out - this is when the engine revs/gearing sticks and the problem occurs.

Any ideas? Do I need to change anything? Replace the gearbox oil & filer?

You help and advice will be appreciated.

James
progress.gif

Yes, you are right replace oil and filter as well.Oil and filter have to be changed after 60000 kilometres

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom