Sticky cd-cartridge! How to fix problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noogieman

MB Enthusiast
Car
I Loewe Old Skool AMG
sometimes my cd-cartridge is gettin' sticky, it won't eject from my cd-changer MC3198.
yesterday when I was ejecting my cartridge nothing happened, eject button flashing green but cartridge still remained inside cd-changer.
I had to wiggle the cartridge and pressing eject button after a few times of fiddling my cartridge, daem bugger finally ejected from cd-changer.

is there a fix like lubricating internal bearings/wheel cogs to make changer for smoother work ejecting cd-cartridges?
or is it time to buy a new changer for silly money? :wallbash:

anyone had this prob?

Last edited:
Seems to be a fairly common problem and one where MB will gladly flog you a new player. If the cartridge will not eject usual cure is to hold down eject button and lightly rap cartridge with knuckles or handle of screwdriver. Worked on mine OK. Apparently the problem is due to the lubricant drying out in the eject mechanism. Only works of course if there is no mechanical damage to the player. Another problem can be that a cheapo plastic worm gear can pop out of position jamming the mechanism. Somewhere on tinterweb a US owner (think MIKE) has done a superb tutorial on dismantling and repairing MB cd players. EDIT found my notes search for Miko's Weblog - Michael Fang's Weblog.

Last edited:
Yeah, it is a super-common problem. I've had this with my CD changer many,
many times now. Although my unit isn't exactly the same as yours, mine is an MC3330.

I had to open the case on mine and manually rotate the large cog inside to 'home'
the relatively complicated mechanism. When everything is lined up the cartridge
will then pop out of the changer and you can remove it.

I never got to the root cause of this because it happened so often that I ended
up removing it altogether. I tried a few things to remedy it. I searched inside for signs
of something broken or snapped off and found nothing obvious, I cleaned all the points
of contact and added silicone grease to help lower the friction.

All of this was in vain because after a short while of use the same problem would
re-occur so I gave up and took it out and left it out.

I just use my phone through the Aux-port in the glove box instead.

CD's are so 1990's anyway, aren't they? :0)

I had a theory that it could possibly be the small electric motor that drives eject
mechanism. I wondered if it might have been stalling. Although I don't know this for sure.
It would be possible to change this motor but finding one and changing it was
going too far for me, because you can buy a replacement CD unit on ebay for around £90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom