Sticky steering wheel buttons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LXA

SUPPORTER
Car
ML500
Done to death I know but here's my tenpenneth worth (whatever that is)
Just bought a 2005 (W164) ML500 - seems to be in great nick (faultless 700 miles so far and booked in for health check on Thursday) except for the sticky buttons - funny how disproportionate the dissatisfaction factor is from these. Must be because you can feel them all the time you're driving. Anyway, couldn't see several of the symbols, assuming they'd disappeared for good. Did some searches, considering buying new switches but options appear to be genuine Merc££££ or Chinese hit and miss tat.
Thought I'd have a go at cleaning and hope I didn't nuke the switches or surrounds in the meantime. Tried "Sticky Stuff Remover" then lighter fluid with lint free cloth. Going gently and being aware of surround, not a lot appeared to be happening. Then tried Wilko's cellulose thinners from the art section. Worked like a dream. Softened the remaining coating down enough to scrape off with finger nails, followed by rubbing to clean with cellulose thinners/ lint free cloth. Symbols mysteriously re-appeared and now as good as new. Did the r/h side last night and left overnight to see if I'd caused any problems with the switch or surround. All good this a.m. so got on with the l/h side. All nice smooth, clean black plastic and shiny symbols. Feels much better when driving.

Well sticky buttons are quiet common on mercs I use Goo Gone.

Cellulose thinners can attack some plastics, so would never be my first choice for this sort of job but you seem to have been lucky.

The sticky buildup on the buttons is a mixture of grease from the users skin and other detritus. A little petrol on a rag will usually shift it, but again proceed with caution as petrol can damage some plastics and coatings.

Cellulose thinners can attack some plastics, so would never be my first choice for this sort of job but you seem to have been lucky.

The sticky buildup on the buttons is a mixture of grease from the users skin and other detritus. A little petrol on a rag will usually shift it, but again proceed with caution as petrol can damage some plastics and coatings.
I know it would appear to be that but did observe that it seemed to be a fairly uniform coating over the whole surface of the switch and surround. It looked more like a finish to the switch that was in the process of breaking down due to the uniformity, like if it was due to grease and detritus I'd have thought it would be present in some places, thicker / thinner and then none existent in others. The worst parts were where contact wouldn't normally be made..... all good now though and, as you say v.lucky that the buttons didn't get nuked.

I'm not a great finisher and it was practically dark, but you get the idea....

Attachments

• IMG_20191208_160830 - Edited.jpg
    IMG_20191208_160830 - Edited.jpg
    631.7 KB · Views: 36

I'm fairly sure it is the rubberised coating that has softened. You can buy a clear spray if you want to maintain the OEM look after you've removed it.

Reactions: LXA
For any rubberised coating that has gone "sticky", try cleaning with a toothbrush and a paste made from Bicarbonate of Soda . Cheap, with no chance of melting the rubber and washes off easily.

Steve.

Reactions: LXA
What did it look like afterwards?
:D:wallbash: haha!! should've seen it before....well, you couldn't to be fair.... unfortunately neglected to take before AND after pics, I'll leave you to decide which I remembered to take ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom