Sticky steering wheel CLK w209

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philnewmerc

Car
CLS55
The steering wheel on my CLK 2003 model appears to be stitched leather but it is coated from the factory with a weird rubbery plasticy coating. This is fine when the weather is cool and hands are dry, but when it's warm and hands are sweaty, the whole thing becomes sticky. This isn't because of a build up of oils or dirt. I've cleaned the wheel over and over again and it makes no difference. The last time I tried it I was particularly aggressive with the soap and microfibre cloth and the weird coating actually started to rip off leaving bear leather. I'm just wondering whether anyone has removed all the coating and has been left with the leather. Is that better? Do you treat it in some way? Does it look terrible? Cheers!👍

Well some of the buttons on my steering wheel went like that I bought a bottle of Goo Gone online and used little and often it took all the sticky mess off but left the markings on the buttons intact,with your problem, I would say what have you got to lose,you need to remove the weird stuff and have a steering wheel that is not sticky,once you are back to the leather or what goes for leather then you can apply a leather product to it.

Yes i suppose so but the finish on the wheel, though horrible, seems to be standard merc finishing so i wanted to see if anyone had taken it off. Had lots of cars with leather wheels and they always feel nice. This one is tacky🤢

I think what happens is that the car has maybe had a valet and whoever did it used a harsh cleaner on the steering wheel,which has attacked the original coating,another area that needs careful cleaning is the sat nav screen,the anti glare coating is very easily damaged.

I had this horrible stuff on my 2006 GL. Just be careful with any legends underneath. I used the goo removal stuff and a plastic scraper.
Zipdip, my nav screen coating has been damaged by cleaning by the look of it. Is there any way to improve it or is it scrap?

I had this horrible stuff on my 2006 GL. Just be careful with any legends underneath. I used the goo removal stuff and a plastic scraper.
Zipdip, my nav screen coating has been damaged by cleaning by the look of it. Is there any way to improve it or is it scrap?

Well with regard the sat nav screen if the coating is damaged then there is no way to repair it,the only way is to remove the rest of the anti glare coating,there are a few products that will do it,I have used Dura Glit which can be bought at Morrisons,it contains a wadding thats impregnated with a silver cleaner,if you go very carefully you can remove the coating,I have never found a spray to put back the anti glare coating,you can buy a film to go on the sat nav screen but it is not ideal,maybe somebody else has found a spray,but you would have to remove the old coating

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom