Sticky steering wheel controls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MadMerx

SUPPORTER
Car
None of your business!
Not quite sure how to describe it and totally forgot to take a photo earlier, but both of the four-way circular controls on either side of the steering wheel seem really sticky and tacky to the touch.

I tried cleaning them with baby wipes but they still have an almost glue like feel to them. It is almost as though the top layer has been peeling away leaving a sticky residue. (No I haven't been picking up any questionable lady passengers lately!)

Any suggestions on what I can use to clean them up?

Not quite sure how to describe it and totally forgot to take a photo earlier, but both of the four-way circular controls on either side of the steering wheel seem really sticky and tacky to the touch.

I tried cleaning them with baby wipes but they still have an almost glue like feel to them. It is almost as though the top layer has been peeling away leaving a sticky residue. (No I haven't been picking up any questionable lady passengers lately!)

Any suggestions on what I can use to clean them up?
You’re not alone, this happens. I can’t remember whether there’s a fix but someone here is sure to know.

You will have to remove the rubberised coating unfortunately. No real alternative to either replace them or recoat after removing the old.

I use Nail Varnish Remover after removing the buttons from the steering wheel first, it sort of breaks the rubberised solution down, put some solution on an old piece of cloth (T Shirt, old Microfibre, what have you) and rub it into the sticky gooey part for a short while making it possible (with a lot of patience and rubbing with your fingers and nails) to roll the sticky stuff off the buttons, please remember not to use lots of the remover or rub too hard as if you are not careful, you can rub the paint off of the corners and the markings on the buttons, I did this the first time I tried, but covered up the white bits with a permanent marker, I am now on my 5th or 6th set and have got it off to quite a T now.

Good Luck.

I did up the ante from baby wipes to kitchen cloth with pledge on it which did move some of the gunk, but made the stickiness even worse! Not sure about nail varnish removed is it may well remove the painted markings.
Photo of the circular multi-function buttons as realise my description probably not the best and a pitcure is worth a thousand words! :)

Steering wheel circular buttons.JPG

Well it is a common problem,I use GooGone,you need to use it little and often with clean cloth,the good news is the white little signs on the buttons still remail ok.

Recently discovered a quick and easy fix for this - using something that many of us now carry in the car (thanks pandemic)!... Apply hand sanitiser gel to a cloth and wipe and the sticky is quickly removed!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom