Sticky throttle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JumboBeef

Car
W124 E220 Estate Auto
Hello all,

Another question! My W124 1994 has a sticky throttle. When you pull away, you have to give the pedal an gooood push as it is quiet stiff. Once you are going, it is fine. Reverse is even worse! You give it a decent push and waaaaaayhaaaaaaay, you're flying backwards too fast :eek:

I have WD40 everything I can see to do with the cable, but nothing has improved.

Any ideas please!

this is very 'normal' on 124's. there seems to be an inch or so of dead travel on the pedal when nothing happens and then everything takes off...have you had the car long?? or is the above something you were aware of and your symptoms are worse than that?

Thanks for the reply.

I have only had the car for just over a week, and have never driven an MB before...........but the seller, who had a number of MBs told me himself it is sticky.

You press the throttle and 0-5mph is fine, then the pedal gets stiff. You push harder to overcome the resistance and you jump forward to about 10mph. Above 10mph (appox), there is no problem. It doesn't seem to be a dead spot from 0mph, it feels (to me) that the cable/linkages/whatever is very stiff when you are pressing the pedal once you have started to press down.

Does that make sense?

This is very common on W124s. I am sure that replacing the throttle cable and lubricating the linkage & pedal will improve it but suspect it won't be a complete cure

It might be instructive to disconnect the throttle end of the cable and seeing how much stiction there is in the cable / pedal. And it might also be interesting to disconnect the kickdown cable to see what difference that makes

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OK, thanks! I'll have a look when I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom