stiffer jail sentencing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark.t

Banned
Car
E300 td tomtom sat nav in car dvd
i have noticed lately that jail sentences for murders and terrorist related issues have been have seemingly increased in length 22-30 years maybe the justice system is finally baying to past public pressure... although prevention is still better than a sentence.... i am glad to see stiffer sentencing on the way up .... i would also like to see a reflective sentencing for group accidental murder to try to deter this kind of violence, like the one's recently in the news. keep it up

Its life with a minumum term (tarrif) before being considered for parole. If the parole board agree that you are safe to be released :confused: then you will spend the rest of your life on licence, which can be recalled if your commit any further offences.

Interesting that we might attempt to murder our spouse and because we fail, they survive to tell the tale. For our efforts we get sentenced to thirty years for attempted murder.

Mrs X does a better job and bumps her spouse off and at the trial we all hear how she was continually abused and knocked from pillar to post. The victim who has never said boo to a goose remains silent :devil: :) so the accused gets sentenced to life imprisonment but because of the mitigating circumstances is ordered to serve a minimum of four years. She will be unlucky if she is locked away for two.

My complaint is the victim cannot defend their good name and the defence can and does sometimes slaughter the good character of the deceased.

If and it is a big if, but if sentences are getting longer for violent crimes then so be it, but will we see more and more appeals which will cost a fortune to fund throgh the legal aid scheme.

How I wish we had a truth detecting gizzmo.:devil: :devil:

Q Did you do it?
A Yes

Q Did you do it
A No :D :D

How many court cases could be heard?

The sentance for Murder is always life imprisonment.

and you can count in one hand those that have actually served life.
Apart form brady i can not remember any others.

Life means prison until the press go home and the furore dies down.
Then you get released through the back door to make room for council tax rebels and speeding motorists
usually averages between 10-15yrs

can count in one hand those that have actually served life.
Apart form brady i can not remember any others.

Either you are an in-bred with very big hands or else you only believe what you read in the press (and I know which of those I think it is :D ).

I have met enough murderers to be happy with the status quo and would not want the death penalty (esspecially for the those at the "worst" end of the scale - if there could be such a thing?).

There are many who die in prison, some by their own hand, others broken men (mostly). They all end up scared, most try lies (initially at least) and I wouldn't swap their existance for mine, ever.

:(

Thanks for a bit of balance SwissToni.
Any country that has a high prison population (Britain) on the one hand and many seeming social problems on the streets, such as so called feral youths, town centres that in many cases become no-go areas on Saturday nights, needs to ask itself what it is doing right and what it is doing wrong. Shutting more people away for longer periods has done nothing to improve a deteriorating situation.
Murder, if my understanding is correct, is in most cases, a domestic crime, where family members kill another family member. There are also people with some form of diagnosed problem who lose control and kill people and then there are the cases of out and out career muderers. The Courts, on the whole, are made up of people far more qualified and experienced than most of us and as far as I can see they do a good job. Mistakes are made, at which point The Daily Mail gets hold of it and all the usual correspondents come out and jump on the band wagon. In my day etc. Times have changed and you can't on the one hand accept the benefits without accepting the down side of modern society. It's almost as brain deadening as Eastenders. You could do something rather than complain though.
But oh lord spare us the Coloner Blimp, knee jerk responses from the Daily Mail crowd.

Either you are an in-bred with very big hands or else you only believe what you read in the press (and I know which of those I think it is :D ).

I have met enough murderers to be happy with the status quo and would not want the death penalty (esspecially for the those at the "worst" end of the scale - if there could be such a thing?).

There are many who die in prison, some by their own hand, others broken men (mostly). They all end up scared, most try lies (initially at least) and I wouldn't swap their existance for mine, ever.

:(

well since you have very good figures and you meet enough of them give us some examples of anyone who has done more than 20years in jail for life apart form the moors people.
And do not add shipman as he did not reach 20.
See if you can count up to 10 of them

there lies the problem with smart a**e lawyers.(not aimed at you swiss toni) someone commits murder and pleads insanity and we all have sympathy. a drink driver kills someone and tries to wriggle away from the charge and we scream hang him.
shutting more people has done nothing to improve the situation but letting them out early has not improved it either. i know which i prefer

FYI i do not rely on any paper, daily mail included and as far as i can remember, the man in charge of sentencing guidelines in this country actually said no one should be put in prison for life anymore.

it stands to reason that if someone is locked up, while he is in jail, he cannot commit any crime. in order words you only have one chance to commit murder/rape and that is it.
Why do we have multiple crimes committed by one individual who is supposed to be serving a 10yr jail sentence but within 2 years of sentencing has committed 5 more crimes?

Last edited:
But oh lord spare us the Coloner Blimp, knee jerk responses from the Daily Mail crowd.
I hate with a vengeance that type of pigeon holing and who really is this 'Daily Mail crowd? are they any better or worse than the Daily Sport\Mirror\Express or Star.

John

there lies the problem with smart a**e lawyers. someone commits murder and pleads insanity and we all have sympathy. a drink driver kills someone and tries to wriggle away from the charge and we scream hang him.
shutting more people has done nothing to improve the situation but letting them out early has not improved it either. i know which i prefer

FYI i do not rely on any paper, daily mail included and as far as i can remember, the man in charge of sentencing guidelines in this country actually said no one should be put in prison for life anymore.

it stands to reason that if someone is locked up, while he is in jail, he cannot commit any crime. in order words you only have one chance to commit murder/rape and that is it.
Why do we have multiple crimes committed by one individual who is supposed to be serving a 10yr jail sentence but within 2 years of sentencing has committed 5 more crimes?
Jolly good we are getting a bit of invective here.
So should we a la Gilbert and Sullivan (excellent tunesmiths don't you think) let the punishment fit the crime? This in my view appeals to the primitive and we, do we not, pat ourselves on the back for being both civilised and well developed in our society?
Separate please the different crimes and do not, as the rabble rousers do, pick on one statistic to make the case. Yes peopel do re-offend and yes mentally unstable are let out and they too re-offend. We all make mistakes.
Most muder, as I said in a previous post, is a purely domestic occurence. Tell me if you have never said or done anything against your partner which you deeply regretted. Most of us fall into that category but being of the well balanced, more civilised type we do not take it to the next level, violence. Some people do because a) they get angry and b) they reach the point where they cannot express themsleves adequately. As these things escalate they sometimes reach the ultimate tragedy. No excuses but this is life and this is the way it has always been. These, the vast majority of murderers, need expert judgement and I am happy taht there are experts in the legal profession and Courts to handle these cases. There are those who are mentally unstable. It is a difficult line but in a caring society, and how many would not like to live in a caring society, decisions will be made that will be wrong.
In the case of planned, pre-meditated muder or murder committed in pursuit of a crime, I can understand but disagree with those who call for the ultimate penalty. It is not just that mistakes are made, it is a matter that I believe killing cannot be legalised and if you do so how do you choose the person who will do this? What is his motivation and how can we hand over the act to such a person?
So we lock them up. Prison is an evil place and is probably the last place we should put criminals as it is purely a breeding ground and confirmation of their recidivist habits but we have no choice. I too believe that life in most cases should mean life but we shoudl be able to review this. Let me recommend a read of John Grisham's factional story 'The Innocent Man'. It's a good read anyway.

yes we are civilised. murderers are not. you have to be flexible in the justice system and laws that were made when crimes like teenagers stabbing people to death for oyster cards and people raping dead corpses were non existent are simply inadequate mate in todays changing climate.

As for the death penalty a lot of people are willing to carry it out if you are not and there is nothing barbaric about it.
I am against it except in extreme 100% cases and there are cases where you can be 100% sure.
E.g a man walks in to an airport with a machine gun and opens fire killing 50 people. armed police appear as he kills the last 10 and order him to surrender (as legally they must identify themselves).
he sees 5 mp5's pointing at him so he drops and surrenders.
Caught in the act, probaby by 1000witnesses, CCTV and armed police.
now unless he is switched from the airport time to the day of the trial, then we have our killer.
No need for any lawyer to tell me he was insane blah blah.

All well and good trying to be PC but i am sure newloves family never supported the death penalty as well.
now all three swear by it.

Last edited:
Tell me if you have never said or done anything against your partner which you deeply regretted.

I have not got a partner.
I have a wife as i am fed up with this PC rubbish.
If yours got stabbed to death by a burglar who has 18 previous convictions you will almost certainly be singing a different tune.
All i know is that if the politicians, coppers and ministers/judges had their own kids killed , raped and their homes burgled constantly there will almost be an instant end to all this soft sentencing guidelines rubbish.

How do coppers react when one of theirs is assaulted or robbed?Believe me it will be a lot faster than when it is you.

Last edited:
Bring back the Guillotine, if they continue to commit further crime after that then hang them.

Most muder, as I said in a previous post, is a purely domestic occurence.

can you back this up with credible facts? A lot are yes not sure about most

. Let me recommend a read of John Grisham's factional story 'The Innocent Man'. It's a good read anyway.

Not interested .
maybe you should go pay newloves family a visit before you start talking about innocent men

better still than the attitude i am better than everyone else
guardian.The times crowd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom