Still confused! W220 Exterior lighting operation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJayUK

Car
ML320 W163, E320 W210 & Jaguar X300-XJR6
Good morning everyone…

I know I have touched on this before but I still don’t seem to have any real pointers.

I am still confused by the way the external lighting works on my W220 Sclass, it something that I have not been able to answer so far. Basically the headlamps work when the keys are not in the ignition. So what I mean is that I can unlock the car and turn the full dipped headlamps on with the light switch dial without even putting the key in. I find this very odd, and it causes a specific problem when the headlights are set to the Automatic mode of operation, as the Xenon's fire as soon as the key is turned to the radio position (ie. position 0). I spend quite a bit time in the car stationary with the engine off and radio or TV on and having my Xenon's going has meant that I can no longer use the automatic headlamp feature which is a shame as its useful.

So I guess this raises 2 questions.

1 When set to manual should the headlamps operate when the key is not in and the engine not running? I would have expected the running lights to work but dipped headlamps to only work when the engine is running.

2 When in automatic should all the exterior lights (ie. sidelights, license plate and dipped headlamps) come on when the key is at position 0 or 1 but the engine off?

It’s a 2000 S320 LWB, W220 model.

1 When set to manual should the headlamps operate when the key is not in and the engine not running? I would have expected the running lights to work but dipped headlamps to only work when the engine is running.

Of course they should - if you are using manual mode, then that is what you get: manual control. Turn them on, and they will come on. After all, I might have a reason to turn the lights. Manual is manual.

2 When in automatic should all the exterior lights (ie. sidelights, license plate and dipped headlamps) come on when the key is at position 0 or 1 but the engine off?

According to the manual (I have just checked), the dipped beam does not come on when the key is in position 1 and that is exactly how it works on my car. I find it rather hard to believe that yours does it differently.

Do the following test: get in the car, switch to auto, put the key in position 1. Get out of the car, look at the lights. Get back in the car, start the engine. Get out and look at the lights again. Only after you've started the car should the lights come on. If not, go to a dealer and get it checked.

Do the following test: get in the car, switch to auto, put the key in position 1. Get out of the car, look at the lights. Get back in the car, start the engine. Get out and look at the lights again. Only after you've started the car should the lights come on. If not, go to a dealer and get it checked.

Did that this very morning when it was dark that, this is what happens

1 Get in the car, set lights to auto via the cluster menu (there is no auto setting on the headlamp switch on my car)

2 Remove the key and then put it back in at position 0, radio position engine off at this point.

3 Exterior lights come on automatically including dipped Xenon headlamps

4 Engine on makes no difference at all.

5 Automatic lights work ok, lights switch on and off as expected depending on ambient light conditions.

Is there a setting I am missing, or something is STAR that can be changed?

Did that this very morning when it was dark that, this is what happens

1 Get in the car, set lights to auto via the cluster menu (there is no auto setting on the headlamp switch on my car)

2 Remove the key and then put it back in at position 0, radio position engine off at this point.

3 Exterior lights come on automatically including dipped Xenon headlamps

4 Engine on makes no difference at all.

5 Automatic lights work ok, lights switch on and off as expected depending on ambient light conditions.

Is there a setting I am missing, or something is STAR that can be changed?

Same as mine! But doesn't really bother me.

Thats good to know! At least it makes me think that mine aint broke!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom