Still trying to buy an E-Class estate - advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

symc

Car
Volvo
Dear all,

further to my first thread here - I am still thinking of a 7 seater e-class.

I've been helped a lot by this thread.

I only need a seven seater for very occasional journeys - so no posts telling me off for rear facing d=seats please. I have looked at a limo on autotrader - but I guess it must be at least three feet longer than an e-class estate and I'll never be able to park it. I see that I could consider an R-class (I could probably get away with 6 seats).

Or perhaps I should go back to thinking of a VW Touran :(.

basically - looks like the advice is a facelift W211. I saw this e-class but it's at the top end of my search price-wise : here - but is £100,000 miles too high for that price, or should I consider this?

I mean there's this for amazingly low mileage and price - i just feel that I ought to be spending more than 3k.

I'd have no idea how to know if the SBC is likely to give up on me.

If I went for a late W210 - what year did they end?

The real problem is that i can't keep travelling 100 miles on public transport to view every car!

Any further advice anyone? Sorry for being so needy .......

Thanks again

Symc

Last edited:
I would not worry about 100k miles as long as the service history is good. That car has no Comand which would put a lot of buyers off when you come to sell it though.

Now researching exactly what COMAND brings to the party ....

dont forget to get a good indie lined up to give your choice the once over when you think you have found a "good un". Even one with so called Full Service History doesn't mean everything is ok - If it needs discs and pads all round that could cost you circa £700, faulty head gasket £1500, turbo on the blink £1200 - it soon racks up. If the seller isn't happy with you having it inspected; walk away

Good thought.

I am entitled to ask for recommendations as to a good independent in the forums or is there a problem about that?

Last edited:
West London - W12 Shepherds Bush, Hammersmith, Chiswick border.

W210 has no SBC brakes
Late W211 facelift 2007+ same, no SBC brakes.

I would still look at early W211, you can pick nice example for under 5k and leave rest money in bank.

my wife's w210 is mechanically sound (having been looked after by Olly at PCS) but quite a few rust spots. 7 seat avantgarde 3.2 l petrol. silky smooth engine magic carpet ride and put your foot down to be very pleasantly surprised at the 'woosh'! :)
its done 188,000 miles!! I'm reliably assured the engine is perfect and will far outlive the rest of the car.
question you have to ask yourself is-
buy cheap and spend money to do it up?
or
spend a lot more but potentially still have gremlins that might cost £££ :-(

facelift 211s are very nice... I personally would not go for a pre-facelift 211.

i love the 210s but honestly cant spend the required amount to get the bodywork right... will have to leave that as someone else's project!
if someone shows you a 'rust free' 210; i'd be very sceptical! in all likelihood the rust has been glossed over only to return in a year. better you walk into the 210 arena ready to spend a few £ getting the rust issues sorted.

Having had a 210 which reached 225k miles before it was written in an accident and now driving a 2004 211 I can honestly say that the 211 is superior in every way except rear legroom.

My 211 is a 320 cdi and has now covered 188k miles with no problems. Yes it has SBC brakes (which are excellent) and I guess at some stage they will need attention but I can't say I'm too concerned as the car has been a joy to own and drive.

Just my experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom