Still unsure and looking for help - R129

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arosamond

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had been to look at a 1999 sl320 with 22k on the clock,
was worried about a 4 year gap in the history no service or MOT reciepts.

Have been worried about whether this gap efectively brings into question the authenticity of the mileage. one post suggested trying the DVLA about copy MOT certs. Spoke to them today and got transferred to another dept that informed me that MOT certs were only entered onto a computerised system for the last two years so the only option for getting a copy MOT cert is from the originating garage end of paper trail.

One thing I have just thought about is why would this car have a brand new set of tyres, with only 22k on the clock surely it would still be on the original tyres?

Any comments very sincerely appreciated

Andrew R

Like any product made with rubber tyres have a limited life expectancy and at 9 years they'd be well past their 'use by' date. If the car has been stood for some long time the tyre deterioration would be evident and new ones an obvious requirement. Being stood could also mean no MOT has been done on the car.

On the other hand...

Depends on what the price is and whether you're prepared to take the risk but there's a lot of other cars out there with a full service history.

Personally I would steer clear, there are plenty of well documented SLs about. I'm also not sure what benefit a 320 has over a 500, again personally I wouldn't have one.

Probably 50% of the value of a 22k car lies in the mileage. If that's not verifiable to your satisfaction then the value isn't either

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Probably 50% of the value of a 22k car lies in the mileage. If that's not verifiable to your satisfaction then the value isn't either

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Thanks Nick this is my point precisely, I am not for one second suspicious that anyone has clocked the car but if the mileage can't be verified then this should be reflected in the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom