Still waiting on C63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSTurbo50

Car
W212 E250 CDi AMG Sport
I was supposed to take delivery of my 2012 C63 today. I bought it from a dealership in Taunton and they offer free delivery and today was the day I was supposed to be taking delivery. I got a call after lunchtime telling me that the driver delivering had got to Birmingham (halfway) and the ABS/Traction Control light had come on and the car was turned around and taken back to Taunton to see what the issue was.

I got a call from the garage later this evening telling me that its a faulty ABS sensor and they will be replacing both front sensors before delivering the car to me tomorrow. Now, my thoughts are could it be more than an ABS sensor? Iv heard ABS modules are prone to failing and can be very costly......

If it was simply an ABS sensor, would the warning lights go off immediately or could the warning light come on days later if it is in fact a faulty ABS module?

I changed my W204 C63's abs sensor a few weeks ago. Very small job.

Wheel speed sensors are a common thing to need changing, i've heard its more common on W204. The Part itself are around £60/70 retail from merc per sensor.

I wouldn't worry too much. Personally i would have asked them to trailer it rather than add the miles to your car. However! good thing is the problem has happened before you yourself driving it.

The ABS would be inoperative if one or more sensors fail. This also includes Cruise Control/Speedtronic being unavailable and traction control.

Diagnosis is usually with a rig test showing the live speeds of each wheel.

Sounds like a bit of a storm in a teacup, garage seem to be keeping you informed and the timescale seems more than reasonable.

Maybe suggest as has been mentioned to trailer it to you if the mileage worries you, although I guess this will add £££ and maybe further delay in you getting the car, at least you know it’s had a good shake down on the way up to you! :thumb:

FWIW, I waited six weeks for a garage to get a car that I was buying prepared, one day wouldn’t bother me too much - these things happen :)

The trailer wouldn't have shown the ABS fault, imagine how you'd have felt if the light had come on when you went for your first spin.

The trailer wouldn't have shown the ABS fault, imagine how you'd have felt if the light had come on when you went for your first spin.

That twas my thought, picking the car up, getting halfway then an ABS/Traction Control warning light coming on the dash, I wouldnt have been happy. The garage have advised that they have replaced both ABS sensors and the car will be delivered tomorrow.

Now my worry is, is it common for the ABS sensors to fail on these cars or is the likelihood more that its a problem with the ABS Pump/Module? The car comes with a 12 months warranty so im not overly worried but I dont want to spend £20k on a car and to be having issues from the outset...

Common failure unrelated to any ABS pump issues

I changed my W204 C63's abs sensor a few weeks ago. Very small job.

Wheel speed sensors are a common thing to need changing, i've heard its more common on W204. The Part itself are around £60/70 retail from merc per sensor.

I wouldn't worry too much. Personally i would have asked them to trailer it rather than add the miles to your car. However! good thing is the problem has happened before you yourself driving it.

The ABS would be inoperative if one or more sensors fail. This also includes Cruise Control/Speedtronic being unavailable and traction control.

Diagnosis is usually with a rig test showing the live speeds of each wheel.
#
Is the wheel speed sensor a different part to the ABS sensor?

Reactions: AMV
I've had a wheel speed sensor go a couple of months ago, just normal wear & tear, that's the only sensor fault I've had since I bought it 15 months ago. Fixed under warranty.

#

The wheel speed sensor throws up ESP inoperative message & an ABS orange warning light if i recall correctly what was on my dash.

#
No its the same thing. ABS Sensors are often called wheel speed sensors. (AFAIK)

The wheel speed sensor throws up ESP inoperative message & an ABS orange warning light if i recall correctly what was on my dash.
As does the ABS pump/control module, plus power steering also stops working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom