Stinky Aircon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wu56Shoozz

MB Enthusiast
You'll need a passport to get over the Wall..
Car
MB Vito 111CDi / W203 C Class Saloon 320CDi Avantgarde
So my car on start up smells like a "Sweaty Lobbock" and then disappears.. so I pulled the air filter that looks choked but I wondered if it was anything else or has any one else experienced this? I'm waiting on a new filter then got it booked in for an aircon recharge (courtesy of the forum). I've fired an antibacterial cleaner though it (recommended) smells better but I may do it once again once recharged..

Its a C320 Cdi... anyone else had this? :dk:

I had this on my previous car.

I used two things at the same time; an aircon "bomb" which sprays vapour from inside the car and a foam than I sprayed into the A/C system from the engine bay (Klima Doktor).

I suspect it was the latter that had the most effect as I could see a build up of spores in there which were gone after the treatment.

Smell went completely.

I had a smelly A/C issue as well.

Use a foam type cleaner for the A/C evaporator and it should get rid of the smell from that initial start up.

My air/con doesn't smell when on... But slightly damp/dusty smelling when its off (suspect the cooler air masks the smell)... Keen to give this a go

Is it obvious where you stick the tubes on application? And do you do it from under the bonnet bulkhead area and inside the car down the vents?.. What's the method, half a can on engine side/half a can on interior side?

Cheers, Kenny

On my Honda Accord I used it in the front vents, then I took out the blower motor and blasted some directly at the evaporator core. All this is accessed from the interior and not from the engine side.

My air/con doesn't smell when on... But slightly damp/dusty smelling when its off (suspect the cooler air masks the smell)... Keen to give this a go

Is it obvious where you stick the tubes on application? And do you do it from under the bonnet bulkhead area and inside the car down the vents?.. What's the method, half a can on engine side/half a can on interior side?

Cheers, Kenny

On an E Class you open the bonnet. On the right IIRC tucked up against bulkhead is the housing for the pollen filter. I took the lid off and removed the filter and it was in there that I could see all the spores. I sprayed as much as I could in there and into any pipework I could reach with the long plastic nozzle. Didn't actually do the interior vents as I didn't read the instructions properly. Afterwards the spores and the smell had all gone.

In my experience this is the only way to do a proper deep clean. The bomb things only tackle more superficial issues and I think are there to use on an interim basis. Or at least to stop the build happening in the first place. Mine had got pretty bad and was properly stinky and needed the foam.

Also be aware that sometimes the smell can come from bacteria build-up around the evaporator unit which none of these home-kits will touch. MB dealers drill out a small hole in the plastic housing, pump in cleanser and then re-seal with a rubber bung.

On an E Class you open the bonnet. On the right IIRC tucked up against bulkhead is the housing for the pollen filter. I took the lid off and removed the filter and it was in there that I could see all the spores. I sprayed as much as I could in there and into any pipework I could reach with the long plastic nozzle. Didn't actually do the interior vents as I didn't read the instructions properly. Afterwards the spores and the smell had all gone.QUOTE]

@LondonScottish - Mines is 04 CLK500, guessing not the same housings, but the method you used I will also adopt due to the success you had.

Also be aware that sometimes the smell can come from bacteria build-up around the evaporator unit which none of these home-kits will touch. MB dealers drill out a small hole in the plastic housing, pump in cleanser and then re-seal with a rubber bung.

@cws196 - I'll take notice, and try the cleaning/K2 method first... If it doesn't improve, then I will move to investigating what you suggested with the evaporator.

Cheers gents!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom