Stock height - W124 - Confused

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steven2015

Car
S500
Hi,

I have a 1992 W124 230E and the ride height is weird. I never saw a w124 sitting that high before
crazy.gif
. It just does not look right. I am very doubtful that it has stock suspension set up.

I decoded the VIN of my car through a russian website. I found out that my car has "Harder springs". I have no idea what is means. Does that mean 4-matic springs?

I just ordered a set of H&R sport springs which are supposed to lower the front and rear by 30mm.

But after I paid, I was thinking that the stock shocks may not cope with the H&R springs, if the shocks are not stock. All I know is that I have Bilstein shocks.

I have read that it is the springs that determine ride height. But I also came across a thread where people discussed that it may be possible for shocks to increase or decrease ride height as well.

Would be great to get some help.

Regards :thumb:

Attachments

• 254407d1250342668-recommended-tires-w124-31072009178.jpg
    254407d1250342668-recommended-tires-w124-31072009178.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 254408d1250342668-recommended-tires-w124-31072009177.jpg
    254408d1250342668-recommended-tires-w124-31072009177.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 256806d1251612373-225-45-17-my-w124-30082009196.jpg
    256806d1251612373-225-45-17-my-w124-30082009196.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 26
Another photo :confused:

Attachments

• 256807d1251612373-225-45-17-my-w124-30082009193.jpg
    256807d1251612373-225-45-17-my-w124-30082009193.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 20
I had a similar 230e. Mine was UK registered but originally from Africa and had the spring kit designed for rough roads, plus a metal sump guard and low compression engine, apparently for low quality fuel. I never did change the springs, good for all the speed bumps! It did look a bit funny from behind though!

steven2015 said:
Hi, I have a 1992 W124 230E and the ride height is weird. I never saw a w124 sitting that high before . It just does not look right. I am very doubtful that it has stock suspension set up. I decoded the VIN of my car through a russian website. I found out that my car has "Harder springs". I have no idea what is means. Does that mean 4-matic springs? I just ordered a set of H&R sport springs which are supposed to lower the front and rear by 30mm. But after I paid, I was thinking that the stock shocks may not cope with the H&R springs, if the shocks are not stock. All I know is that I have Bilstein shocks. I have read that it is the springs that determine ride height. But I also came across a thread where people discussed that it may be possible for shocks to increase or decrease ride height as well. Would be great to get some help. Regards :thumb:
get sum lowering springs bro or be like theese guys from the east coast in USA ...

image-806541713.jpg

steven2015 said:
Hi, I have a 1992 W124 230E and the ride height is weird. I never saw a w124 sitting that high before . It just does not look right. I am very doubtful that it has stock suspension set up. I decoded the VIN of my car through a russian website. I found out that my car has "Harder springs". I have no idea what is means. Does that mean 4-matic springs? I just ordered a set of H&R sport springs which are supposed to lower the front and rear by 30mm. But after I paid, I was thinking that the stock shocks may not cope with the H&R springs, if the shocks are not stock. All I know is that I have Bilstein shocks. I have read that it is the springs that determine ride height. But I also came across a thread where people discussed that it may be possible for shocks to increase or decrease ride height as well. Would be great to get some help. Regards :thumb:
another one bro you could find a stock suspension kit cheap if some 1 lowered they cedes. U know. Go on ebay man. I just lowered my w210 this sat. Did it myself "easy" if you have right spring compresor. Ill help you bro i done all the work to my cedes.

Yours looks like it might be one of the ones assembled in India with increased ride height to cope with the challenging roads.

Just replacing the springs with regular items from somewhere like Euro Car Parts would bring the ride height back down to standard although personally I'd go for a matched set of lowered springs & shocks. All budget dependent of course.

another one bro you could find a stock suspension kit cheap if some 1 lowered they cedes. U know. Go on ebay man. I just lowered my w210 this sat. Did it myself "easy" if you have right spring compresor. Ill help you bro i done all the work to my cedes.

Innit.

Hi,

I have a 1992 W124 230E and the ride height is weird. I never saw a w124 sitting that high before
crazy.gif
. It just does not look right. I am very doubtful that it has stock suspension set up.

I decoded the VIN of my car through a russian website. I found out that my car has "Harder springs". I have no idea what is means. Does that mean 4-matic springs?

I just ordered a set of H&R sport springs which are supposed to lower the front and rear by 30mm.

But after I paid, I was thinking that the stock shocks may not cope with the H&R springs, if the shocks are not stock. All I know is that I have Bilstein shocks.

I have read that it is the springs that determine ride height. But I also came across a thread where people discussed that it may be possible for shocks to increase or decrease ride height as well.

Would be great to get some help.

Regards :thumb:

Springs determine ride height.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys! Really much appreciated!!:thumb::thumb:

I ordered some H&R springs (lower by 30mm).

I guess that the springs will lower the car much more than 30mm? Am I right? :dk:

From what I found on the VIN decoder website, my car comes from Mauritius. So, it is basically an import.

You mentioned that the springs are much higher to cope with the uneven roads... But do you think that the heights of the shock absorbers are the same compared to European W124s ?

I'm sure the shocks currently on the car will cope. You could always change them at a later date if you're unhappy with the ride or handling. What sort of mileage has it got on it? If it is relatively high, the shocks would be tired and I would get them changed at the same time to get the best out of the set up. All down to your budget really.

You mentioned that the springs are much higher to cope with the uneven roads... But do you think that the heights of the shock absorbers are the same compared to European W124s ?

Unless you get a definitive answer re 'same as Euro W124s', then when the springs are being changed, with spring removed, compress the damper and ensure it does not bind before any bump stop has seen considerable compression.
This is for safety. The damper suddenly running out of travel while cornering will cause the tyre to lose adhesion - without warning.

30mm drop is fine with OE shocks, I guess.

But in your case, am not sure. Am not sure whether your shocks have same length as european 124s.

Last edited:
Hi

Uau!! you must have the Dakar line suspension set up

that doesnt look right, have you actually checked the springs on the car?

you wont have stiffer springs, you just have more coils.

maybe the car was fitted with springs from another model

mazza

Hi Mazza,

Did not check the springs yet. I am away unfortunately :wallbash:

I am sure that the car is an import because it does have the solid protection under tray under the engine. I guess my car has a special suspension set up to adapt with challenging road conditions. But they look awful :eek:

Do you think that the length of the shock absorbers of my car is the same as the European W124s?

Thanks

Hi Mazza,

Did not check the springs yet. I am away unfortunately :wallbash:

I am sure that the car is an import because it does have the solid protection under tray under the engine. I guess my car has a special suspension set up to adapt with challenging road conditions. But they look awful :eek:

Do you think that the length of the shock absorbers of my car is the same as the European W124s?

Thanks

hello mate

not sure to be honest, need some part numbers to cross reference

see my previous edited post

cheers

hello mate

not sure to be honest, need some part numbers to cross reference

see my previous edited post

cheers

Might be very difficult to find the part number.

No its not me. Bought this car from him though. Did not know he was on the forum :thumb::thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom