Stolen Car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Morenike

Car
Mercedes E220 Cabriolet
I had my E220 cabriolet stolen of my drive yesterday 28/01 despite all the security gadgets. Was wondering isn't it high time Mercedes invested in better security for their cars. When I spoke to the dealership, they told me that 5 had been stolen this week alone. How else are you supposed to secure your car?

To me it feels like car security has taken a step backwards. Keyless entry is one easy route in since the car theives have devices to intercept key to car communications and access the car easily. Cars are now stolen to order or to break into parts.

We live in a world of pin numbers and access codes, fingerprint scanners, facial recognition etc etc.. Why cant all this tech be applied to your car?

Its got to be the way forward...maybe others will disagree..??

I had my E220 cabriolet stolen of my drive yesterday 28/01 despite all the security gadgets. Was wondering isn't it high time Mercedes invested in better security for their cars. When I spoke to the dealership, they told me that 5 had been stolen this week alone. How else are you supposed to secure your car?

Did you have an Autowatch Ghost fitted to the car? Or a tracker?

Sorry for your loss :( Whilst it's a bit late now, Autowatch Ghost will add a 'pin' (consisting of various button pushes) to your startup procedure, I'd highly recommend it.

We live in a world of pin numbers and access codes, fingerprint scanners, facial recognition etc etc.. Why cant all this tech be applied to your car?

There would be a greater risk of personal injury if the thief takes a knife to the throat of the car owner to extract the required security data. Extrapolating that to its logical conclusion would see the car left unlocked with the ignition key on the seat. Where the happy(?) medium is between the two extremes is going to be different for different folks I guess.

There would be a greater risk of personal injury if the thief takes a knife to the throat of the car owner to extract the required security data. Extrapolating that to its logical conclusion would see the car left unlocked with the ignition key on the seat. Where the happy(?) medium is between the two extremes is going to be different for different folks I guess.

Not directly related, but this reminds me of something that happened a few years back to Mrs MJ.

After repeated theft of worthless items (toys left by the kids) from her car that involved smashing a side window, she decided to simply leave the car parked in the street unlocked at night, on the premise that there wasn't anything worth stealing anyway but at least the thieves won't be breaking the glass again.

This arrangement seems to have worked well for a while, until one fine day when she was about to drive the kids to school and found a homeless person fast a sleep in her car, sleeping bag and all. I came outside and had a word with the chap, turns out he was a young Irish lad that left home to try his luck in the Big Smoke. He had a five pound note and a mobile phone on his person... I wished him well and off he went.

Back to the OP... sorry to hear this. We live in a sad world where some people just can't be bothered to engage in productive work and try and better themselves through gainful employment, instead they try to feed off the hard work of others. On the plus side, it's only metal and plastic (yes, I know, I love my car too..) and will get sorted by your insurer. Life goes on...

Sorry for your Loss and the Predicament you now find yourself in! :eek::(:doh:

How was it Stolen?:dk:

Similar story about leaving the thing unlocked. Mate of mine does groundwork's for a living so his tools of the trade , usually a 15 to 25 ton tracked 360' machine is normally already on site for him to use each morning so in the back of his scabby car derived van instead of expensive tools lurks stinking wet socks , boots and the odd hi-viz jacket that is so dirty as to have become Lo-viz.

His van has been broken into on numerous occasions to the point where the rear doors are now secured by a bungee cord and he relies on the internal bulkhead to stop anyone getting to the drivers compartment - but often in these cases it is the contents not the van that is the target - Imagine his dismay may as his 'new' van arrived the other day only to find it has no internal bulkhead ! he is more peed off of the fact that he has to now lock his van than he is for not reading the description properly while shopping for it on line !

He is now shopping for a bulkhead to fit his van...on line of course. :D

OP sorry for the distress the scumbags bring to your door.

Sorry to hear of your car being stolen.....

Out of curiosity, what did you use to secure your car, and any ideas how they took it? :mad:

immobiliser and tracker, now I know to use the ghost immobiliser on my cars

Sorry for your Loss and the Predicament you now find yourself in! :eek::(:doh:

How was it Stolen?:dk:
We woke up yesterday and the car was not on the drive, so not sure. Looks like my CCTV was blocked with some gadgets as well as there was no recording of them. These criminals are professionals

To me it feels like car security has taken a step backwards. Keyless entry is one easy route in since the car theives have devices to intercept key to car communications and access the car easily. Cars are now stolen to order or to break into parts.

I agree with you the manufacturers needs to be ahead of these criminals

Keyless entry is one easy route in since the car theives have devices to intercept key to car communications and access the car easily.

Don't know where Mercedes are up to with this, but the latest key fobs from many manufacturers have movement sensors and they shut down when not being used.

Similar story about leaving the thing unlocked. Mate of mine does groundwork's for a living so his tools of the trade , usually a 15 to 25 ton tracked 360' machine is normally already on site for him to use each morning so in the back of his scabby car derived van instead of expensive tools lurks stinking wet socks , boots and the odd hi-viz jacket that is so dirty as to have become Lo-viz.

His van has been broken into on numerous occasions to the point where the rear doors are now secured by a bungee cord and he relies on the internal bulkhead to stop anyone getting to the drivers compartment - but often in these cases it is the contents not the van that is the target - Imagine his dismay may as his 'new' van arrived the other day only to find it has no internal bulkhead ! he is more peed off of the fact that he has to now lock his van than he is for not reading the description properly while shopping for it on line !

He is now shopping for a bulkhead to fit his van...on line of course. :D

OP sorry for the distress the scumbags bring to your door.

Thanks guys

Thanks guys
Sorry to hear of the theft,for future reference I would get faraday pouches for your keys,blocks the signal the thieves home into to steal your car.

Sorry that your car was stolen!

How was the CCTV 'blocked'? Not sure I understand. Did they disconnect the power to your house? Or literally blocked by putting something in the way?

Also, don't modern MBs have a tracker built in - did they jam it then disable it?

Cheers,

Ed

Don't know where Mercedes are up to with this, but the latest key fobs from many manufacturers have movement sensors and they shut down when not being used.
Mercedes keys with movement sensors started being issued mid 2018.

How about a system that if the car is broken into then after 1 or 2 minutes all the doors lock and a canister of phosgene gas is released.

Two fold benefit, a reduction in car theft and also the prison population.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom