Stolen - mirror glass and surroundings - C Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes that’s because there’s an unplugged indicator bulb (the one in the mirror). If they charge you an hour just challenge it and say “really?
R

Yeah sounds a good idea.I said to them to do nothing without clearing it with me first.
My main worry is that it's damaged the electronics or motor somehow (especially as it was raining hard and so everything has got wet), meaning the entire unit needs replacing.

The main dealer fitted the new parts at no-cost (for labour) when it happened to ours, in fact the parts guy did it rather than a technician.

This is Blackburn Merc unfortunately. I'd be amazed if they fitted them on the correct sides going on past experience :(
Why go back there then? :dk:

The problem is that if they set high margins on parts likely to be needed for accidents, then they would be penalised on the insurance groupings.

Not if they all do it.

And I think my assertion is ... they pretty much all do it.

Relative was quoted £1500 to sort a minor bit of damage on a small Ford. Turns out the very big bit of plastic at the front that constitutes a bumper and front panel costs quite a bit to buy, then some more to paint. I would have thought that at the price they might supply it pre-painted .... but no they have to give a cut to the body shop by letting them charge their bit.

Not if they all do it.

And I think my assertion is ... they pretty much all do it.

Relative was quoted £1500 to sort a minor bit of damage on a small Ford. Turns out the very big bit of plastic at the front that constitutes a bumper and front panel costs quite a bit to buy, then some more to paint. I would have thought that at the price they might supply it pre-painted .... but no they have to give a cut to the body shop by letting them charge their bit.

And how many days with a hire car?

Limited selection in my area unfortunately, the other alternative is a 45 minute additional drive. Convenience o er anything else.

Get the parts and wiz over to Preston - CVM are MB trained and Steven will do it while you wait. Pretty close to J31a M6

Didn't include a hire car. That was just the repair.

I was responding to your 'paint shop getting a cut' comment. Ditto the car hire outfits in cahoots with the insurance companies. The financial sector again. Strangling every last penny it can. Unsustainable.

Get the parts and wiz over to Preston - CVM are MB trained and Steven will do it while you wait. Pretty close to J31a M6

In the end I just had them do it; I'd have had to take a half day off work to get it over there, and I also would have had to drive it there, which was a bit of a nightmare anyway, especially on the motorway. Good to know they're there though, might take it there for the service.

They phoned me up yesterday and said it would be an hour labour. I said I was shocked they had quoted that when the parts just clipped on, but they said they had estimated 30 minute for each side, as they would need to check wiring etc wasn't damaged. and there was no water damage (it was chucking it down when I came back to the car - I know mirrors get wet anyway, but sort of understand). Anyway, I managed to get them agree to cut that to half an hour, so for saving the hassle and time for me to get it done myself, it was worth the £100 for 1/2 an hour.

Haven't had the total cost yet, but I envisage it to be around £500 (got them to fit the non-dimming glass on the drivers side). I didn't realise when I did the parts quote myself that the indicator lenses don't come with the covers, so that's another cost on top.

What shocks me a bit is that for parts which are so expensive, there is absolutely no protection against theft whatsoever - you can literally just "clip off" £600 worth of parts in a couple of minutes and walk away without having to even undo a screw. I get mirrors are often casualties of minor bumps etc, but even a few screws would help a little, or sound the alarm if the wires are disconnected whilst the car is locked. But as it is, you might as well just leave 600 quid cash sticking out of the window for someone to take, because from all accounts, it's give or take the same time and effort! :(

While you were there, did you ask who had recently asked for a quote for what you have just had done and never followed through?

<comments removed>

Ignore me - I failed to register there were 2 pages and posted what had already been said :rolleyes:

In the end I just had them do it; I'd have had to take a half day off work to get it over there, and I also would have had to drive it there, which was a bit of a nightmare anyway, especially on the motorway. Good to know they're there though, might take it there for the service.

They phoned me up yesterday and said it would be an hour labour. I said I was shocked they had quoted that when the parts just clipped on, but they said they had estimated 30 minute for each side, as they would need to check wiring etc wasn't damaged. and there was no water damage (it was chucking it down when I came back to the car - I know mirrors get wet anyway, but sort of understand). Anyway, I managed to get them agree to cut that to half an hour, so for saving the hassle and time for me to get it done myself, it was worth the £100 for 1/2 an hour.

Haven't had the total cost yet, but I envisage it to be around £500 (got them to fit the non-dimming glass on the drivers side). I didn't realise when I did the parts quote myself that the indicator lenses don't come with the covers, so that's another cost on top.

What shocks me a bit is that for parts which are so expensive, there is absolutely no protection against theft whatsoever - you can literally just "clip off" £600 worth of parts in a couple of minutes and walk away without having to even undo a screw. I get mirrors are often casualties of minor bumps etc, but even a few screws would help a little, or sound the alarm if the wires are disconnected whilst the car is locked. But as it is, you might as well just leave 600 quid cash sticking out of the window for someone to take, because from all accounts, it's give or take the same time and effort! :(
When I had my CLK the dimming wing mirrors were nicked twice from outside of my home in Stockport. First time I went to a breakers north of Oldham who specailised in Merc. They had the very mirrors I needed for £100. Second time around same price.
I scratched my postcode on them in the end!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom