Stolen & Recovered car - altered VIN - Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

architect84

Car
Mercedes B class
My car has been stolen and recovered by Police 1 year later. The car is now back to our driveway, but its VIN numbers have been changed. I am 101% convinced this is my car. Police have connected some smart device and were able to establish original VIN and this is how it has been returned to me eventually.

I am not able to bring car for MOT because the VIN places have been changed - on the driver side door frame, to the bottom of the windscreen and new VIN has been stamped onto metal frame under the driver`s seat.

Talking to DVLA - they are not concerned as long as the car`s VIN plates are back.

Talking to Police - they can provide a proof that this is my car but suggested to get in touch with Mercedes and order replacement VINs. I have ordered replacements stickers, but Mercedes suggest to find a company who can fit them for me. Questions:
1. Why Mercedes do not fit VIN plates and stamp VIN?
2. Do I actually need to stamp new VIN on metal frame or sticker plates on the door frame and windscreen are just fine?
3. What companies specialize on this king of work?

Sorry to hear that your car was stolen and glad that it was recovered (albeit a year later).

I don't know the answerd to your questions, but I am curious to know where do you stand with the insurer, if you don't mind sharing.

The insurance company are not involved as the car did not have car insurance at a time when it was stolen (insurance policy ended 11 days before it was gone :-( ).

I don't know the specific answers to your questions but I suspect only a main dealer would be able to sort this out. Do you have the original certificate of conformity (in a yellow booklet) that would have originally come with the vehicle manuals? This is the vehicle paperwork that came from factory and contains the original VIN. I suspect the dealer would use this to ascertain the vehicle's identity and swap the VIN tags as required. It tells you on the front of the booklet not to leave it in the vehicle and I suspect a situation like this would be the reason why.

Last edited:
What condition has it come back in. I must say u r lucky to get it back.

Interesting one, be interested to know others thoughts, curious in that the police are trying to take dodgy motors of the road and what device do they have that can detect an missing vin

What condition has it come back in. I must say u r lucky to get it back.
Although after a year the vehicle must have been replaced, is this now redundant

We bought this car second-hand with al paperwork, but no yellow booklet. However, I have V5C, Previous services receipts done by Mercedes, digital services report, etc.

The car is back in excellent condition, however there is a lot of hair laces in the hatch - looks like people who used it had a small dog ;-) Police told me that the car was pulled two times and the third time back in December when Police officers decided to connect some device to read information from ECU which is when original VIN has come up in light and they were able to trace the vehicle back to me.

Hello and welcome . Not heard of this before and I can't be much help . But this will be an interesting thread methinks.

I seem to recall hearing stories (albeit rare) about stolen cars being found years later in better condition than when they were taken .

My car has been stolen and recovered by Police 1 year later. The car is now back to our driveway, but its VIN numbers have been changed. I am 101% convinced this is my car. Police have connected some smart device and were able to establish original VIN and this is how it has been returned to me eventually.

I am not able to bring car for MOT because the VIN places have been changed - on the driver side door frame, to the bottom of the windscreen and new VIN has been stamped onto metal frame under the driver`s seat.

Talking to DVLA - they are not concerned as long as the car`s VIN plates are back.

Talking to Police - they can provide a proof that this is my car but suggested to get in touch with Mercedes and order replacement VINs. I have ordered replacements stickers, but Mercedes suggest to find a company who can fit them for me. Questions:
1. Why Mercedes do not fit VIN plates and stamp VIN?
2. Do I actually need to stamp new VIN on metal frame or sticker plates on the door frame and windscreen are just fine?
3. What companies specialize on this king of work?
So are you saying that the MOT test involves a check of the VIN plates ?

Reactions: m80
Hello and welcome . Not heard of this before and I can't be much help . But this will be an interesting thread methinks.

I seem to recall hearing stories (albeit rare) about stolen cars being found years later in better condition than when they were taken .
If the vin number was changed, then it could be possible, the people who were driving around in it, could be an innocent party in this, un suspecting buyers.

Do police patrols have gadgets where they can access info from the ECU, or would they take the car away and then do the forensic search.

So are you saying that the MOT test involves a check of the VIN plates ?
What plates are on the vehicle now, the original or the cloned, could that make a difference with the mot situation.

Last edited:
Most modern high end scanners such as Autel etc can read the VIN from the ECU to enable correct identification of the model year, type etc.

Not sure what the problem is. Grind out the incorrect stamped in numbers and restamp the correct one...copied from the owners doc.... and then order correct VIN plates from Mercedes or aftermarket and pop rivet it/them in place.

The car seems to be drawing a lot of attention... to be pulled by police 3 times in one year, it must be some sort of a record. And, I doubt that the police routinely connect an ODBII scanner to cars they stop, so again they would have had a reason to suspect that something isn't right with this particular vehicle.

Not sure what the problem is. Grind out the incorrect stamped in numbers and restamp the correct one...copied from the owners doc.... and then order correct VIN plates from Mercedes or aftermarket and pop rivet it/them in place.
It's not that simple.

Only approved companies can supply and restamp the VIN number and plates.

Whoever has the car whilst stolen certainly went to a lot of trouble to give it a new identity, could it be as simple as a genuine car but with your old ecu from your old car that was broken for parts and that's why the ecu shows your vin number?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom