Stolen registration plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This only applies to cars post-2001.

Yes you're right:

"It is not part of the MOT test to check that the registration plates
supplied on or after 1st September 2001 display the BS AU 145d
marking, or the name and postcode of the registration plate
supplier

However, these markings are a legal requirement and
you will be committing an offence if they are not displayed"

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/rep...umber+plates&pr=CORP&order=r&cq=&id=4aa0a4c7f

So it's not part of the MOT test but non-compliant plates are illegal

Nick Froome

No, it applies to number plates fitted after September 1st 2001.

Unlikely anyone is going to believe that shiny new plates are 8 years old.

Traditional black and silver pressed aluminium ones can be polished and repainted to look like new - I certainly won't pay £30 £40 £50 or more for plates with postcodes etc on them to display on my classic cars , and no one is going to be able to say when they were fitted .

Plastic plates on a newer car can still look new if the car is garaged' and does low miles .

Have fitted my new plates now with the special security screws that were supplied by my local police station.

As much as I prefer to stick the plates on or use clip on plate suurounds, I hope that these one way screws will deter thieves from stealing them again.

The rear plate is a bit more tricky, as the original fixings are bolts rather than screws, so I have to find some security bolts to complete this bit.

would it be possible to dremel fine lines in the back of the plate before you glue them on (making them weaker) so when the theif tries to take them off (probably by ripping them off with his bare hands) they will just snap rendering them useless. Just a thought.

K

would it be possible to dremel fine lines in the back of the plate before you glue them on (making them weaker) so when the theif tries to take them off (probably by ripping them off with his bare hands) they will just snap rendering them useless. Just a thought.
There is a commercial version of this already available where the outer parts of the plate break off leaving the part with the digits still attached to the car. Your car is still identifyable while you go to buy a new plate and all the thief has is some white or yellow plastic bits.

Sorry to hear this Tan.

The same happened to me a couple of months ago, whilst away from home. MB Watford were extremely helpful and agreed to issue new plates without the necessary documentation, as luckily I'd had the car serviced at a London MB dealership about 6 months previously, so they were able to verify who I was.

Sadly, the ******* who decided to steal the plates was in so much of a hurry, they managed to rip the plastic numberplate mounts from the car as well .. so it was a bit of an expensive job to repair ... the AMG front bumper mount was £50 on its own ! All the London dealers seem to screw the plates to the mounts these days ... mine were simply clipped into the previous mounts, which is terrible for security - they can be whipped out in an instant, so would encourage anybody with the clip in number plate surrounds to screw the plates directly to the car if you can !

Use the one way security srews if you can get the right size to fit the MB rear screw threads ... a thief is more likely to go for an easier target than anything requiring 4 screws to be removed on each plate !

Follow up from the Police was that the plates were used once, to steal petrol, and have not been seen since - this is very opportunistic crime generally and you need to do what you can to protect yourself !

S.

Sadly number plates are the only thing I've not been able to get a discount on. As I mentioned earlier, I think this may be close to cost, because 99% of the plates are for internal customers, ie sales.

Well went and got my plates yesterday and paid £14.08 and that included 4 new screws for the front plate :bannana:

Some *** has stolen the registration plates off my car. The plates were there last night, but this morning they were gone.

I have reported it to the police, now I have to go through the hassle of ordering new plates 
Go to the police station you reported it to ASAP and ask for a dated copy of the incident report together with the name and number of the officer you reported this to. If they demur say your insurance company demands it----- which they might in future.

Last edited:
Traditional black and silver pressed aluminium ones can be polished and repainted to look like new - I certainly won't pay £30 £40 £50 or more for plates with postcodes etc on them to display on my classic cars , and no one is going to be able to say when they were fitted .

Plastic plates on a newer car can still look new if the car is garaged' and does low miles .

Regs allow for black and white plates to be fitted - even if supplied new - for vehicles manufactured before 1/1/1973. These plates are not required to have the Kite Mark, Post Code, etc.

Well went and got my plates yesterday and paid £14.08 and that included 4 new screws for the front plate :bannana:

I've just thought, my £14 included £2.56 plus VAT for sticky pads. Even more of a bargain, had I took a chance that I'd find some in the hazard I refer to as a garage!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom