Stone chip in windscreen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mac1997

Car
R230 SL 500
On driving on the M25 to get Apple Airplay installed in my 2009 SL500 a stone hit my windscreen and made a small hole/crack (10p size) in the windscreen. Airplay installed but DAB arial not stuck to windscreen incase it needed replacing. Looking online Autoglass said that it was repairable. As i'm going to Scotland on a road trip I didn't want to take the chance so thought I would take the car for Autoglass to have a look at first. The engineer said that it could not be repaired as it had a double crack (two hits in the same place) and the windscreen would need replacing.
My question is, is there anything I should look for on the new windscreen that was on the original that sometimes gets missed off? one thing is my car has a FM arial. Thanks for viewing

The windscreen will have various sensors (rain, sun), and there's a camera behind the rearview mirror on some models, all of which will need to be calibrated using STAR, I believe.

Also, if claiming from your insurer under glass cover, as far as I know you can insist on genuine MB windscreen, or on Pinkleton windscreen (OEM for MB), albeit possibly for a higher excess.

Watch them like a hawk as they remove the windscreen, Autoglass changed the windscreen on my 968 coupe, scarred the paint in a small area across the top and hid it under the seal, a couple of years later I had paint bubbling due to corrosion and it cost me a few hundred quid to have the screen removed, paint repaired and screen replaced!

The windscreen will have various sensors (rain, sun), and there's a camera behind the rearview mirror on some models, all of which will need to be calibrated using STAR, I believe.

Also, if claiming from your insurer under glass cover, as far as I know you can insist on genuine MB windscreen, or on Pinkleton windscreen (OEM for MB), albeit possibly for a higher excess.

Watch them like a hawk as they remove the windscreen, Autoglass changed the windscreen on my 968 coupe, scarred the paint in a small area across the top and hid it under the seal, a couple of years later I had paint bubbling due to corrosion and it cost me a few hundred quid to have the screen removed, paint repaired and screen replaced!

I’ve had similar with Autoglass, caused damage to our Abarth and the screen is very poor, quite a different shape!. Our local Autoglass get terrible reviews so I won’t use them. It’s worth checking reviews to find a decent fitter.

I would obviously like to keep any functions I have with the old windscreen when I get the new windscreen. Is there a way of telling what functionality I had with the old windscreen, i.e VIN number check? If so does anyone have the link,
Thanks in advance

I would obviously like to keep any functions I have with the old windscreen when I get the new windscreen.
Autoglass will use your registration number to get the VIN number and thus identify any and all features the replacement screen will have to support. If you have any driver assistance features (even Speed Limit Assist) then they will also carry out the required camera calibration.

I would obviously like to keep any functions I have with the old windscreen when I get the new windscreen. Is there a way of telling what functionality I had with the old windscreen, i.e VIN number check? If so does anyone have the link,
Thanks in advance
Won’t the screen have a part number that can be cross referenced?

Took our V class to our local Autoglass place for a new windscreen. No problems, everything working as it should.
That's been my experience with Autoglass too.

I've had two screens replaced in one of my E63's that had the full Driver Assistance Package (so the stereo cameras), one in Angie's SLK55 that has Speed Limit Assist and one in my current A-Class that has Speed Limit Assist and Lane Keeping Assist. All cars have (or had) auto wipers and auto headlamps; the E63 and SLK55 both had/have the Intelligent Light System too. All were replaced correctly without further input from me, and the camera systems properly calibrated with calibration certificates being supplied. Four out of four times everything worked properly when the car was returned.

While I'm sure there are people who have had something go wrong with a screen replacement, my view is that people are overcomplicating things. Just book the darn thing in and let them do their job.

I have a couple of chips in my CL screen which Autoglass said needing they could not be repaired and said they would have to replace the screen. My insurance company would not pay for OEM screen only a aftermarket one, and Autoglass quoted £750. I since had the chips repaired by National Windscreens and since the car has recently passed its MOT. Not all insurance companies will pay for an OEM replacement.

Autoglass basingstoke did a screen 18 months ago on my XJL and then literally 3 months later the S class needed a new screen.
With the Jaguar they did it at my home and all went well. With the Mercedes I had to take it to the Basingstoke place to do as they had all the calibration to do, front cameras etc for road sign recognition and also for the Magic Body Control.
On both of the jobs I was looked after very well and with my experience would recommend them.

Autoglass replaced mine about 4 years ago. I didn’t think to argue for a genuine MB replacement and with this one I seem to have a thousand small pinprick chips now after four years which the sun will highlight sometimes. Are some types of glass softer than others?

My factory CLK screen was the same....thousands of tiny chips. Never had that on any other car. But it had spent is life before me driving back and forth between London and Edinburgh....was not nice in a low sun. Funny thing is that as much as that affected visibility in certain conditions it won't fail the MOT....but one 41 mm crack in the wiper swept area of the passenger side will! Stoopid!

I’m late to this thread but I had a fairly hefty chip in my screen about the size of a £1 coin and in front of driver.

I believed it may have needed a new screen but was not sure so I went online and tried Autoglass first and filled in their online application which came back that the screen may be repairable, their price for a repair was £209.

I then went online and tried National Windscreens who also said it may be repairable but no online price instead a representative phone me and said their next appointment was 2 days later and cost would be £52 including VAT, their guy came out took a look said he would attempt repair and believed it would be fine.

He had to drill a small hole through the centre of the chip, then filled with some resin under pressure then used a UV lamp to harden the repair, the repair was excellent and I’m left with a tiny dot where the repair was carried out, I’m exceedingly pleased.

I spoke to him about replacement screens, he said oem screens are normally only offered on fairly new cars.

Finally go on YouTube and check out windscreen repairs, it’s surprising that most screen damage can be repaired rather than a new screen every time.

Robin

I’m late to this thread but I had a fairly hefty chip in my screen about the size of a £1 coin and in front of driver.

I believed it may have needed a new screen but was not sure so I went online and tried Autoglass first and filled in their online application which came back that the screen may be repairable, their price for a repair was £209.

I then went online and tried National Windscreens who also said it may be repairable but no online price instead a representative phone me and said their next appointment was 2 days later and cost would be £52 including VAT, their guy came out took a look said he would attempt repair and believed it would be fine.

He had to drill a small hole through the centre of the chip, then filled with some resin under pressure then used a UV lamp to harden the repair, the repair was excellent and I’m left with a tiny dot where the repair was carried out, I’m exceedingly pleased.

I spoke to him about replacement screens, he said oem screens are normally only offered on fairly new cars.

Finally go on YouTube and check out windscreen repairs, it’s surprising that most screen damage can be repaired rather than a new screen every time.

Robin
Thanks Headhurts

Robin
Surprising......most repairs I've seen (inc one on my CLK) I would not have called even acceptable....also the resin seems to have a short life....usually yellowing and starting to lift within a couple of years. Hopefully yours will be the exception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom