Stone chip protection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ndwgolf

Car
E53 Coupe AMG
Stone chip protection verses respray.
When I bought my car it came with a ceramic coating that ……….. not really sure what it does but it doesn’t stop stone chips.
I’ve been looking at putting a clear stone chip protection wrap on the front of the car but after talking with the car salesman he recommended waiting until it starts to Piss me off then just get the front end repainted………….. what do you guys do?
Neil

A ceramic coating won’t protect the paint from stone chips but Paint Protection Film (PPF) will.

The cost will be similar to a respray so with PPF you’re keeping the car original and buying peace of mind, rather than saving money.

Also if you use quality PPF it will self heal light scratches and marring which keeps dark cars looking their best,

I have PPF, but I wouldn't bother if the car already has bad chips.

If the chips aren't too bad, maybe touch up paint then PPF, but remember it'll simply cover any bad touch up areas, so it's worth getting the paint sorted for marks and swirls before applying.

I decent PPF installer should give you some honest advice.

Stone chip protection verses respray.
When I bought my car it came with a ceramic coating that ……….. not really sure what it does but it doesn’t stop stone chips.
I’ve been looking at putting a clear stone chip protection wrap on the front of the car but after talking with the car salesman he recommended waiting until it starts to Piss me off then just get the front end repainted………….. what do you guys do?
Neil
I would highly recommend self healing ppf. Had it applied to the front of my car when 3000 miles old and it is still perfect and chip free now. Guess it would make sense to give your cars paint a little attention first though….

I would highly recommend self healing ppf. Had it applied to the front of my car when 3000 miles old and it is still perfect and chip free now. Guess it would make sense to give your cars paint a little attention first though….

^^ That ... I had my E63S Estate done completely with Satin PPF at Topaz and it does look like new after a wash ... All it needs to self heal some scratches is hot water ... But agree - it costs almost as much as a re-spray ...

Is it correct that you can't PPF a ceramic coated car ?

Well I think it depends on the manufacturer as to how hard the paint is,I have always found that MB has in my opinion soft paint,we have a DS5 Citroen and it is pearlesent white the cars done 60 grand and there are no stone chips anywhere.

Just been quoted £1300 to get the front end only with a top brand PPF………… does that sound about right?
Thanks
Neil

Just been quoted £1300 to get the front end only with a top brand PPF………… does that sound about right?
Thanks
Neil

I paid £5500 at Topaz for full satin (car was black metallic) PPF on a e63s estate and when I scratched the bumper and had that redone it was £650 + VAT.

£1300 sounds about right.

I thought and thought about this, but considering how expensive PPF is, wouldn't it be better to drive it and consider a professional stone chip repair/paint correction or whatever when it eventually gets bad?

Depends on the individual. For me my car is a daily and living in a small town means I cannot really afford leaving the car with a garage. But for me personally it wasn't just PPF but a colour change as well. Now the car looks ace in satin black so having the option to turn a black metallic car into a satin black with protection and self healing was a no brainer for me - especially since wraps weren't THAT much cheaper.

Now if it weren't for the colour change I got to be honest, I PROBABLY wouldn't have done it. Another reason I WOULD do it is if you have a colour that is special and difficult to re-spray, like designo / magno paint.

Thanks for all the feedback, Since my car has already got about a dozen vey small stone chips, Ive decided to just wait until it starts to piss me off when I look at it then I will get the front end resprayed or maybe even get the whole car wrapped.
Thanks

Neil

Thanks for all the feedback, Since my car has already got about a dozen vey small stone chips, Ive decided to just wait until it starts to piss me off when I look at it then I will get the front end resprayed or maybe even get the whole car wrapped.
Thanks

Neil
A reputable PPF installer won’t go over the top of stone chips because it will exaggerate their presence and lead to disappoint. They may accept a very small number of very minor chips, but more than that usually leads to disappointed customers.

A reputable PPF installer won’t go over the top of stone chips because it will exaggerate their presence and lead to disappoint. They may accept a very small number of very minor chips, but more than that usually leads to disappointed customers.
Plus it causes bubbles and PPF won’t adhere in those spots.

I have had PPF on three different cars, spanning over 12 years. The technology has changed quite a lot over that time!

PPF is a preventative thing, obviously. If you invest in it then hopefully you won’t get to the point where stone chips are annoying. Piece of mind and continued enjoyment is worth more to me than gradually increasing annoyance. Plus, you might get a new nasty paint chip the day after your re-spray!

Having said that, I found the latest generation of films where now so thin that this detracted from the protection. I haven’t bothered getting my new CLA protected for this reason.

£1300 sounds about right to me.

Just had my second car (SLK 172) PPF'd with XPEL. £860 for bonnet, bumper, headlights, door mirrors and sills. As others have said, the paint needs to be in very good order before applying - so better to protect before chips occur. It's real piece of mind and makes salt spreaders seem less menacing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom