Stone chips and scuff - How much..?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonus

Car
2011 CLS350 Sport
hi

I have 5 or 6 small (~4mm?) stone chips in various places, and a scuffed area about 30 sq cm by the front nearside wheel arch (an anonymous gift from a carpark user). Just had a quote from Chips Away for £860..... doesn't seem cheap as chips to me - am I just being unrealistic or have I stumbled across a franchisee who wants to retire soon?

I also have a corrosion issue on most of my alloys - he says he can't do anything about that. Any ideas?

Any advice gratefully received
cheers

Sounds like he's trying to rip you off, hopefully someone in Oxford would recommend another company like chips away for you. Many years ago i did use them for a scratch which you could never see then used them to do a wheel once, 3 times they did it and was still a crap job and the finish was rubbish so never again, i did it myself in the end and did a brilliant job. Get some recommendations first.

hi

I have 5 or 6 small (~4mm?) stone chips in various places, and a scuffed area about 30 sq cm by the front nearside wheel arch (an anonymous gift from a carpark user). Just had a quote from Chips Away for £860..... doesn't seem cheap as chips to me - am I just being unrealistic or have I stumbled across a franchisee who wants to retire soon?

I also have a corrosion issue on most of my alloys - he says he can't do anything about that. Any ideas?

cheers
Rip-off

At my bodyshop, Autotek in Wirksworth, I just had both bumpers and side sills repaired, resprayed and lacquered in Designo Mauritius Blue. Plus early stage rust on rear wheel arches sorted. Plus bird-strike indentation to lower grille fixed. It's a CLS55 AMG. Cost me £480.
My wheels are going to be totally refurbished at the end of the month at Diamond Alloys in Derby. Powder coat colour of my choice from gazillions available. £60 per wheel.

At my bodyshop, Autotek in Wirksworth, I just had both bumpers and side sills repaired, resprayed and lacquered in Designo Mauritius Blue. Plus early stage rust on rear wheel arches sorted. Plus bird-strike indentation to lower grille fixed. It's a CLS55 AMG. Cost me £480.
My wheels are going to be totally refurbished at the end of the month at Diamond Alloys in Derby. Powder coat colour of my choice from gazillions available. £60 per wheel.
Wow - seems my Chips Away guy is totally taking the p*ss then. I thought it seemed over the top - thanks for confirming.

Wow those are good prices, must come up to derby if I need any work done in the future.

:D I almost did for a minute! But no, £864 incl. VAT if you can believe that
Ahh i see the mistake on the calculation of vat he slipped on the calculator and was charging 2000% its easily done.

getting both sides of mine done next Week to correct work done by a "smart" repair company last year for the previous owner its iridium silver £620.00 all in E class estate

Just get it machine polished first and see what will need respraying/smart repairs

word to the wise stay well away from "smart" repair firms when I bought my car it looked perfect a week or two later it got sunny and I saw a patchwork of marks down both sides, I contacted the last owner and was told it was a smart repair from a previous keying someone drew a snake down both sides, the smart repair firm didnt want to know as I was not the purchaser, ended up getting both sides reprayed by my local guy cost £620.00 cant see anything now, he reckons the paint they used reacted and the sparkly bits in the paint were a different size so it stood out in the sun, to be fair he didnt see all of them until he got his lights on them.

hi

cheers
Hi , unfortunately any franchise operation is only as good business owner.

Not convinced by driveway smart repairs from my experience !

Hi , unfortunately any franchise operation is only as good business owner.

Not convinced by driveway smart repairs from my experience !
My son used a guy 2x on a BMW with a black metallic paint, the guy did an excellent job. However, I agree with your first sentence.

You say you got 4-5 stone chips in "various places" and a scuff on an arch? Depending on the colour and if the paint needs blending (generally when a repair is to close to another panel to blend out the basecoat) then the quote can easily be justified it all depends on what he's actually painting? If these 4-5 stone chips are on different panels you could potentially be repainting 5 panels plus your damaged arch so that's 6 panels without blending in that case £860 can be justified as it works out to be only £145 ish a panel, regardless of how minor the damage is the process is the same and the whole panel still needs clear coating and damaged are priming at the minimum, a bit more clarification on what's actually being repaired and painted is needed first before helping you out in seeing if its overpriced, also if blending is involved that could be minimum £80-100 a panel on top.

Hence this is why most people just touch up stone chips unless there's a cluster of them like what you get on a bonnet or front bumper otherwise its just not cost effective to repair from a customer pov, generally.

Well smart repair can be a lottery,the results depend on just who is doing the repair,I would not use my local smart repair guy ,I have seen examples of his work,but there are many smart repair companies that do great work,our local MB dealers use one guy who is great,and no he is not a smart repair company,I was amazed just how much work MB dealers supply,but when you see just how they park their cars in their compounds maybe it is not so amazing,they get scuffs and grazes

Well smart repair can be a lottery,the results depend on just who is doing the repair,I would not use my local smart repair guy ,I have seen examples of his work,but there are many smart repair companies that do great work,our local MB dealers use one guy who is great,and no he is not a smart repair company,I was amazed just how much work MB dealers supply,but when you see just how they park their cars in their compounds maybe it is not so amazing,they get scuffs and grazes
Sure is a lottery! i used to do all of Porsche’s work in Tewkesbury and that was mostly always a “smart repair” like corner bumpers ect no removing of panels (rarely anyway) and they were always happy with the results, sure everyone knows how fussy Porsche are there workshops are cleaner than most peoples houses lol

I don't think the OP is reading our posts any more....:

Screenshot-20210704-113633-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom