Stone chips and tar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aerialmark

Car
E320 cdi avantgarde auto
Hi I am not a detailer but would like a little information on removing road tar from my work car, what is the best product within reason, and what is the best way to go about it. Also is there anyway of protecting my Galaxy from stone chips on the front and bonnet as I do mostly motorway work (About 5 to 6 thousand miles a month) thanks :thumb:

White spirit should get it off then a little bit of polish to finish off, then wax

Best thing for getting tar off is Tardis, although I think the smallest can is 5Ltrs. Or Ive used Polished Bliss Oblitarate, also pretty good.

For stone chips, keep your distance from the car in front, thats my tip.

I have a bottle of TarX Mark. Works well, spray it on, little agitation if needed for bigger tar spots then wash off.

Your welcome to borrow it if you want to try it out.

I use a bit of petrol from the lawn mower top up can and a bit of polish after.
3 M do a clear plastic sheet to cover the front of cars subject to stone chips. Your local van vinyl advert company may have some clear material they can stick on the front?

I'd suggest using a clay bar especially if it's only the odd bit of tar here and there.

Following on from this, do the whole wax and polish treatment. Tar and crap doesn't stick quite so well to wax & polish.

Best thing for getting tar off is Tardis, although I think the smallest can is 5Ltrs. Or Ive used Polished Bliss Oblitarate, also pretty good.

For stone chips, keep your distance from the car in front, thats my tip.
Have you ever been down the M60 at 08-30, keeping your distance is not an option as sombody will just move into the space ! Scotland may be different. :dk:

Have you ever been down the M60 at 08-30, keeping your distance is not an option as sombody will just move into the space ! Scotland may be different. :dk:

I spent 10 years driving round the M25 at 8.30 in the morning and still managed to keep my distance on that road. And no, Scotland is no different.:dk:

I spent 10 years driving round the M25 at 8.30 in the morning and still managed to keep my distance on that road. And no, Scotland is no different.:dk:
So nobody moved into the gap that you left especially one big enough to avoid stone chips !

Last edited:
Autosmart Tardis is by far the best product to remove tar. Without exception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom