Stone chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jakerook

Bonnet littered with stone chips. It's an old 03 C180 coupe in a lovely red colour. The chips are very visible. I've gotten myself some touch up paint made to the exact colour. Is this a job that can be done myself ? Any tips for a good job/finish ?

Ta

My wife had stone chips on her ford. I bought some colour tinted polish, forgotten actual name of the product but colour magic or similar, and it came with a wax stick to fill the chips with. After a coat of the polish it came up pretty good. Not as good as a respray of course.

I used something identical to Chipex (the name escapes me now) that I ordered in from America on a previous car. It was excellent and far better than using a normal touch up stick. That said, you do feel a bit sick when you start smearing paint all over your bonnet for the first time!

so does Chipex work? I have used Mercedes touch up stick and its done nothing other than leave different shades of paint filled all over the bonnet.

You tube videos show it working well but...its hard to see how it would look on silver colour as its tend to be the hardest colour to match!

Chipex works brilliantly - I sorted mine out a couple of weeks ago

so does Chipex work? I have used Mercedes touch up stick and its done nothing other than leave different shades of paint filled all over the bonnet.

You tube videos show it working well but...its hard to see how it would look on silver colour as its tend to be the hardest colour to match!

have you tried it on your silver car yet?

I have one silver c200 with lots of stone chips on bonnet

I found the best way to do stone chips was to slowly build the paint up until it was just proud of the rest of the paint surface. I then used fairly aggressive clay which seemed to get the surface flush with less marring of the surrounding paintwork than wet & dry did. Finished off with a good polish it was pretty invisible.

That said, I wouldn't bother on light coloured metallic paints since the metallic flake settles as it drys which means the paint invariably ends up a different colour when sanded back.

I found the best way to do stone chips was to slowly build the paint up until it was just proud of the rest of the paint surface. I then used fairly aggressive clay which seemed to get the surface flush with less marring of the surrounding paintwork than wet & dry did. Finished off with a good polish it was pretty invisible.

That said, I wouldn't bother on light coloured metallic paints since the metallic flake settles as it drys which means the paint invariably ends up a different colour when sanded back.

what do you mean by

• build up paint?
  • use of clay. what is it?

I've used it on my CLK55 which is colour [FONT=&quot]CUBANITSILBER

If you look real closely you can see it on deeper chips, chips which are not too deep i[FONT=&quot]t[/FONT] covers, and its very difficult to spot those repairs.

If I had the patience and build up the deeper chips then it would be grand too I'd say - I'm afraid I don't have a lot of patience

[FONT=&quot]As above, bit scary the first time you use it, but with practi[FONT=&quot]ce you get a bit better.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

Use a small amount of paint, let it dry then aply again, slowly building up the 'height' rather than putting a blob in there

are you refering to chipex? it is paint?

how do i find out what silver color is my car?

what do you mean by

• build up paint?
  • use of clay. what is it?

Well, when the paint dries it shrinks slightly as the solvent evaporates. Consequently, a small blob of paint can sometimes shrink to being less than flush with the surrounding paint. Just repeat the process to the point where it's above the surface.

The clay is an "aggressive" car clay bar that's normally used for removing overspray. It will slightly mar the surrounding paint, but less than some sandpaper.

Chipex and Polished bliss, or Halfords do Meguiars claybar kits

Why not get someone to detail your car for you if you're talking about using clay

I have done a couple of stone chips on my Tanzinite Merc I had trouble getting a touch up paint,but amazingly I went to Halfords and the guy mixed it up for me took about 20 mins but I have to say it was a perfect color match ,I think the secret is to get a very fine brush and only use a very little paint,just one dab,and leave to dry,then repeat if the stone chip is not filled,then a little wet and dry,or clay bar then maybe a compound and a wax and polish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom