Stone chips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Osc63

Car
gtr
Hi I've a couple unavoidable stone chips on my door very small but one is fairly deep. Are the touch up pens any good? If not smart repair?

I bought the Chipex kit but having used it yet.

Ultimately any repair other than complete respray will be visible, the trick is to get it to be as least noticeable as possible.

The Chipex kit includes a 'blending solution' which is used after the paint dries to remove excess paint from around the chipped area - this should (in theory anyway) produce a near-perfect result.

I will be able to advise once I have tried it myself.

Stone chips are a pain in the ass

If your fussy like me if you touch it up it'll still bug you

Wait for it to get a few more and respray the panel

The Chipex process sounds similar to grouting tiles. The paint must contain a mix of base coat and clear for it it work otherwise the colour would fade when exposed to UV.

'Touch ins' with lighter metallic paint are more noticeable than darker colours, but as has been said you will never get an 'invisible / seamless' repair by 'touching in'.

It should be sprayed by a professional.

There's a bit of a nack to it.

There's a bit of a nack to it. Youtube and google are your friend.

As with all painting, a lot depends on preparation, a light touch, and an acceptance that the first attempt might need wiping away.

Remember that you need to cut the existing finishes and then refinish over the paint once it's all stable again.

It'll never be as good as a full panel respray costing hundreds of pounds, but realistically, unless it's in a prominent place, once done carefully, it won't grab your attention.

Full panel resprays are all very well, but even the most professional guys can struggle to match colours exactly because of fading, and even if colours match immediately, they can then age differently.

Thanks I will try the pen from a dealer to see how itb works it's only a couple

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom