Stone Chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

djcheung

Car
W211 E320 CDI
I have noticed a lot of tiny stone chips on the bonnet. They are very small and too small for touchup sticks.
I have metallic green so they show up quite badly.
Anybody has any good tips on touching these up?

Thanks
David.

.....use touch up paint, but don't use the brush supplied - use a match stick or something similar - this will allow you to get right into the little holes without any paint spreading about, (if you're careful ;))

Then use ZYMOL to polish it all up.

S.

Thanks Sym,

I will try it this weekend when I get a bit of time and hopefully the weather will be dry.

Thanks,
David.

I recently saw a guy from a local mobile touch up franchise using the pointed tip of a scalpel, and it worked ok.

touchup sticks

Hi guys, any ideas for where to get paint touchup sticks from, dealers or otherwise please

Dealers will be cheaper than Halfords, and a better colour match !

grasmere said:
Hi guys, any ideas for where to get paint touchup sticks from, dealers or otherwise please
Give your dealership the paint code (on your VIN plate) and they can supply you the proper paint :)

HTH

Will

cheers guys - I just noticed a horrible chip of paint missing on the leading edge of my bonnet so I need to get it sorted, thanks

Me too!!

Doh!!

:p

This is my speciality.

First thing - Do not use the touch up brush supplied this results in a disaster :crazy:

Use a tooth pick (cocktail stick) for small chips, for slightly larger purchase a fine artist paint brush. My local hobby shop sells these for 99p for 4.

Make sure the paint is fresh, a touch up that has been used a few times can go thick dont use when the paint is like this.

If you need to sand the chip, use a hole punch to print out small disks and then stick them on the end of pencils with rubbers attached. You can then twizzle the pencil to sand.

For more tips down load the Autopia e-book

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/lib/autopia/goldfish.exe

(See power polishing thread or perfect shine how to thread for more info)

To be fair to Halfords, their touch-up paint kits come with an exceptionally thin, needle-like brush. Despite my shaky hand, I can usually fill the indentation in a one-er without blotching over the rest of the paintwork.
Like signwriters, the secret is to brace your painting arm - ie if you'r r/handed, put your left arm over the car and rest your right wrist hard on top of your left wrist - geddit?
With such small chips, any deficiencies in colour-matching won't be noticed.

if there is a tiny point of rust in the chip whats best?

Does it need sanding out or would a tiny drop of that rust 'converter juice'
stuff that turns it black do the trick then paint over?

Goldfish - thats an excellent tip about punching out small pieces of sandpaper :cool:

grasmere said:
if there is a tiny point of rust in the chip whats best?

Does it need sanding out or would a tiny drop of that rust 'converter juice'
stuff that turns it black do the trick then paint over?

Goldfish - thats an excellent tip about punching out small pieces of sandpaper :cool:

Scratch it out with a sharp blade then use rust converter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom