Stone chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

diesel demon

Car
220CDI
I was wondering if there was a good way of removing slight stone chips from the bonnet finished in black metallic.
I’ve heard of touching up with paint stick then polishing with an ultra fine grade but don’t want to make it worse.

Wow that’s impressive but a bit scary. I might practice on the Peugeot first and see how I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chips away?

Has anyone tried Chipex?

I did, and I can't work it out. I followed the instructions to the letter but the paint just gets removed completely when I do the final step.

But perhaps I'm just thick and others on here had better results with Chipex?

They also have franchised repairers, I am considering letting an expert apply it.

Well I am no expert at stone chip repairs,and I have only touched up small chips,I have had a whole series of dark coloured cars the last being a dark metalic blue ,if you look at the chip with a magnifying glass in most cases only the top colour coat has gone the undercoat is still there,you need a top quality touch up paint,I bought the one I use from Halfords and they used to make these up in the shop,they have stopped this now,I thought the £12 price tag expensive but it is good,I wash the car make sure it is dry and then get a kids tiny paint brush and cut most of the bristles away,I then get a tiny amount of paint and just touch that in the chip,if you judge it right it fills the chip up even if it is not quiet enough I never add to it,I leave it to set off ,then I use a liquid polish,I did 3 on the bonnet and they are invisible,my touch up paint is a perfect match I suspect that is important.

That method sounds more like my cup of tea. I’ll give it a go and thanks for the advise.

Chipex is OK, used it on mine with a reasonable result, but nothing will be perfect to avoid road rash on Obsidian Black to be honest

I left something out your bonnet is not flat I propped my bonnet up to make it a s flat as I could,because a liquid like the touch up paint will find it's own level,I even did one right at the front lip of the bonnet I got the bonnet in the upright position and then got a step ladder to put the paint in the chip.

Well that’s dedication Zipdip and a genius idea. Thanks for the tip.

...I got the bonnet in the upright position and then got a step ladder to put the paint in the chip.

picsor.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom